Can you Sync an unlocked iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bedpilot, Sep 6, 2007.

1. bedpilot macrumors newbie

That is the question.

I just got an unlocked iPhone and I am wondering if I can sync it in iTunes so I can get my song library, videos, etc loaded. Should I do something special so it will not update software??? Such as uncheck update software box, disconnect from the net, etc..???

Thanks

2. dannyg9 macrumors newbie

It would be nice to get an answer on this, the dos and don'ts of an unlocked iPhone would be very useful.
    Dan

3. jimmer-uk macrumors regular

I sync mine every day no problem. Just don't click on update etc. Mine, like I say is synced quite often for calendar and e-mail updates. I just use it as if it were locked still, I don't notice a difference

4. jeffmc macrumors 6502

the only thing an unlocked iphone can't do, is visual voicemail because it's a network dependent function.

every other function of the iphone will work.

5. spinstorm macrumors 68000

It is VERY important you NEVER click on "update" should Apple bring out a new update as it will re-lock your phone and you won't be able to access it until the dev team hacks it again.

But other than that you don't have to do anything with your phone - it will sync perfectly in iTunes and run like a locked phone.

6. Craig S macrumors newbie

I just picked up an unlocked iPhone and can't sync. I'm getting the following message when I click on the iPhone icon on the left side of iTunes-

The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported. Only compatible SIM cards from a supported Carrier may be used to activate iPhone.

Any tips?

I'm on Tmobile, obviously that's the incompatible SIM card.

7. Craig S macrumors newbie

Ok, that was weird. So apparently the phone wasn't unlocked, so I tried to unlock it (with the already-installed anySIM) and it failed. Then it went into some weird recovery mode where it was unresponsive for a while but I finally got it back with ZiPhone.

It's now up and running just fine.

8. Chory macrumors newbie

iTunes claims I am synced elsewhere

iTunes seems to be under the impression that my unlocked 3gS is synced with another library (?). :confused:

My only option is to "erase all the content" and begin again…or to NOT have 7/8 of the functionality function (what's the point of an iPhone if it won't integrate with my Mac?).

Will I have to unlock again? Had a heck of a time getting my T-Mobile sim to work in the first place and would rather not have to take it in and pay for a second unlock…

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, if you sync with a new library the old items from the other library like music, apps etc.. will be removed from your iphone.
    But that's the only option.
    Dont click the erase all content and settings.
    Your iphone will get stuck on the apple logo and you will need to restore, rejailbreak and unlock it agian and if you dont know what you're doing you might lose the unlock option.

10. jaowens macrumors newbie

You can sync it with iTunes. You can also update your software as long as you bought it unlocked from Apple. If you jailbroke it to unlock then you will lose your unlock. I have an unlocked iPhone 4S (16GB, White) that I bought from Apple legally.

11. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Factory unlocked phone will stay unlocked forever its on an IMEI whitelist at apple,Jailbroken unlocked will re-lock and most likely upgrade baseband preventing future unlock when you update your iOS.Unlockers should never use a stock IPSW always make a custom one using redsn)w or pwnage tool

12. Chory macrumors newbie

So, to clarify, my jailbroken and unlocked iPhone can be synced, so long as I do not ask iTunes to install any updated iOS.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes.

14. Chory macrumors newbie

Indeed I can! Thank you sir!

Making certain, of course not to install any system updates/new iOS.

15. mimu macrumors newbie

I bought a new iphone4 SIM free, for my wife. She already has an iPhone 3Gs this locked to provider, Telia (Sweden).
    My question is, if I back up her 3Gs with iTunes and then restore the new iPhone with the same backup. Will the new unlocked iPhone stay unlocked?

The reason for my uncertainty is that I started with this procedure (as I described above) and the new phone showed a message that "the network was lost" and the service bar disappeared (no service).
    I then quickly disconnected the phone from the computer (iTunes) and restarted it before Ituns ended with sync process.
    Now everything seems to be OK but I'm not sure that it will remain unlocked if I continue. :confused:

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, the new unlocked iphone 4 will never lock to any carrier since its sim free factory unlocked.
    You can restore to any backup or do anything you want to it. Its forever unlocked.