iPad Can you take out Applecare+ after getting a replacement?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by allistera, Jan 2, 2014.

1. allistera macrumors regular

Hi Guys,

Recently got a crack running down my iPad Air Screen - Not sure how it happened but just got to deal with it. Got an appointment with a genius on monday, I noticed I will need to pay Apple £256 to get a replacement as I stupidly forgot to take out applecare+ within 30 days.

My Question: can I take out apple care+ on this new iPad they will be giving me? Or is it still tied to the previous iPad purchase date.

Thanks!

PS, Really recommend anyone one to get applecare+ on any apple product.

2. blarivee macrumors 6502

It is tied to your previous iPad purchase date. What they do is transfer your remaining warranty to the replacement. I do not think you can add AC+ for replacement, you can ask the Genius. Maybe you'll get lucky and they will do a courtesy replacement :)

3. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I exchanged my iPad once and then went back and added Apple Care. As long as you haven't caused any damage they should let you add AC to any device as long as it is within the window to add it.

4. ZipZap macrumors 601

Just not the + version.

5. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

6. Hookemfins macrumors 6502

Hookemfins

How long ago did you purchase the iPad? You have one year from the purchase date to get Apple Care. You also have one year from the purchase date to get Apple Care.

7. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Unless something has changed since I bought my Air it is 30 days on the iPad and a year on the Apple computers.

8. allistera thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah I got it around release date, so sep time. Although it wouldn't make much difference if I got normal AppleCare as it doesn't cover accidental damage (What they might deem it to be). Only AppleCare+ covers this, and it needs to be purchased within 30 days.

Here is hoping they do a courtesy replacement, but judging from what I read online I shouldn't hold my breath as this is rarely done.

9. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I am pretty sure there is no AppleCare anymore and only AppleCare+ exists now, at least in the U.S. I could be wrong though.

10. blarivee macrumors 6502

This, I forgot to mention 30 days restriction. I asked Apple chat and they suggested to call AppleCare number and review the options. I think they still offer AppleCare on the phone but for AppleCare+, like you said 30 days.

11. Hookemfins macrumors 6502

Hookemfins

That is brand new information. I'm glad I found out now as my GF just bought an iPad Air New Years Day.

What I would do in your situation is to call Apple Care up and and explain that you didn't know that AC policy had changed to AC + and to 30 days after purchase instead of 1 year as in the past. Try to sweet talk them into it. It can't hurt. :)

12. ZipZap macrumors 601

I believe this is correct. After 30 days you can't get accidental damage coverage.

----------

No, it's not. Been this way since they started selling AC+. Two2seven is wrong.

13. bigdog5142 macrumors 6502a

bigdog5142

I bought my iPad Air at Best Buy & went straight to my local Apple Store to add AppleCare+. About 40 days or so later, some dust got under the screen. I was within the 45 day Elite return period, so I exchanged my iPad at Best Buy as the Apple Store is further away. I simply called Apple and they moved my AC+ plan to the new iPad serial number, no questions asked.

14. dave420, Jan 5, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2014

dave420 macrumors 65816

You can still get regular AppleCare. When I went to replace my damaged iPhone the system showed I had regular AppleCare and not AppleCare+. I said that wasn't true since they didn't sell the regular AppleCare, but the employees assured me that if you ask you can still get the regular AppleCare. It's a good idea to keep your receipt, as I had done, in case there is any confusion.

15. allistera thread starter macrumors regular

For anyone wanting to know the outcome: no free replacements, they simply won't replace if the crack on the screen has an impact point, so it cost me £250 to replace.

Also you cannot take out AppleCare+ on a refub replacement.

16. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

What is the difference at this point?

17. dave420 macrumors 65816

AppleCare will extend the warranty for a year for any manufacturer defects. AppleCare+ also covers accidental damage with a small deductible.

18. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

Thanks. I thought they did away with the regular AppleCare. :)