Can you talk AT&T into waiving the activation fee?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by coolwater, Jun 9, 2009.

1. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

I have stayed with one carrier for last 10 years so I didn't have to pay any activation fee for a decade. However, I remember talking to a new carrier into waiving the activation fee wasn't a hard thing to do a few years ago. I wonder if it's still doable nowadays especially with AT&T who knows you can't go any where else if you want an iPhone.

Costco does waive AT&T activation fee, but you can't have iPhone through Costco. Being a Costco member, that $36 activation fee feels just a little unnecessary. :(

2. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

Sure you can, I have gotten many fees waived by them. It all depends on who you get, it may take a few calls.

3. bjquach macrumors 6502

4. iphonerain macrumors member

I agree - it depends on which rep you get on the phone. If you get an unaccommodating rep, just call again and talk to a different rep. Be nice and stress that you've been with them for 10 years and would like to remain a customer, but you might not be able to afford to stay if you have to pay the activation fee on top of the expensive iPhone fees. :)

5. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

I've been an AT&T customer for a year now and when I ordered the new phone on the Apple website it listed BOTH the activation fee AND the upgrade fee. I'm OK with paying the upgrade fee, but I shouldn't have to pay the activation fee again! (Especially since I will be activating it myself at home!!) I hope they will fix that.

I know last year people got those kinds of fees waived. I think it depends on who you talk to.

6. hbg macrumors regular

I am glad others have had success, but I never have in getting the fee waived.

7. bjquach macrumors 6502

8. dagomike macrumors 65816

I'm getting charged $18. I pressed a bit when I ordered in-store, but they said it was standard. I was thinking of offering to buy a case or something on the 19th in store and see if they'll waive it. Might as well buy an overpriced accessory than get nothing.

Either way, online Apple and ATT stores wanted to charge me $36, so I fell I'm already ahead.

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Someone should really explain to me the smartness of such fees. When I bought a new Mac, I didn't get charged a "new computer fee." Yet for going from an iPhone to an iPhone 3G-S, I'm charged the $18 junk fee and then bumped up to another $10/month for data (OK, it's faster, that's cool) but then put another $5 in because of SMS. I'd love to not use SMS at all, but when your friends send you a few from time to time, it's kind of the devil you gotta dance with. I sent 17 messages today. Another 8 and I'd be at $5 if I didn't have 200 free.

10. nathan1281 macrumors member

I have assisted in 4 others in getting Iphones and they were switching from other carriers. They waived the activation fee. Just be nice and explain your situation. :)

11. Gix1k macrumors 68030

Gix1k

Give it a shot...I had a really nice lady yesterday.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

How do you keep a straight face when plunking down at least $200, agreeing to pay several hundred more over the course of the next 2 years, and then saying you can't afford $18?

13. rorschach macrumors 68020

rorschach

Basically...because they can. They slap an $18 "upgrade fee" on -- the vast majority are going to pay it.

14. JGruber macrumors 6502

Just call ATT and tell them when you bought the iPhone in the store, the sales rep didn't mention anything about a Activation Fee or upgrade fee. I did this when I bought 4 iPhones for my family. Waived all the fees.

15. skierpunk macrumors newbie

Are you supposed to call when you get the phone or when you get the bill?:confused: