Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PrayForDeath

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
Nope. The screen is too small plus the contrast ratio sucks. I don't watch any critical viewing on my iPad because it doesn't compare to my $10,000 projector. How anyone can watch a full length movie on the iPad with its ****** speakers is impossible for me to comprehend anyway.

Who uses the ipad speakers for movies anyway? For me its either headphones or my inmotion air speakers while watching movies.

And for what its worth, yes I do notice the difference between 1080p and 720p on my ipad, and would rather have something even higher to take full advantage of the screen.

----------

Given the size of the iPad 3's pixels, you'd probably have to get really close though to see the difference, I'd guess.

Not sure if serious

chilly7

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2012
Nope. The screen is too small plus the contrast ratio sucks. I don't watch any critical viewing on my iPad because it doesn't compare to my $10,000 projector. How anyone can watch a full length movie on the iPad with its ****** speakers is impossible for me to comprehend anyway.

u can connect a proffesional high quality usb Audio interface like (Lynx Hilo or Rme Fireface UFX) streigt to I pad and then use what ever speaker selection or headpones ur want;)

AppleHater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
I think the more proper question is can you tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on your iPad without trying?

When you buy a new TV or BluRay player, you try to look for any imperfection. Once the honeymoon period is over, you'd rather pay attention to the movie or whatever you're watching.

To me, it's only a big upgrade, if I can notice without trying. To me, 720p and 1080p is close enough whereas 480p vs 720p is pretty easy to notice.

Then again, it depends on how it's encoded to as not all 1080p movies are created equal.

KittyKatta

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
I think the more proper question is can you tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on your iPad without trying?

When you buy a new TV or BluRay player, you try to look for any imperfection. Once the honeymoon period is over, you'd rather pay attention to the movie or whatever you're watching.

To me, it's only a big upgrade, if I can notice without trying. To me, 720p and 1080p is close enough whereas 480p vs 720p is pretty easy to notice.

Then again, it depends on how it's encoded to as not all 1080p movies are created equal.

Like many others (and many more who won't admit it) I'm new to "pixel peeping". For years I was fine with up scaled DVDs and even a week ago before I started ripping my BluRays I felt 720p and 1080p are almost identical. But now that I'm playing around so much with 1080p then I can now sss the difference. But I completely agree with AppleHater on this. If you have to look for the differences then it's not a big deal so I'm happy with 720p because it gives an amazing quality at a reasonable file size.

taedouni

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2011
California
Most people should be able to tell the difference. I personally can tell the difference; that's the main reason why I purchased an iPad 3.

lukeman3000

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2007
I shouldn't have mentioned money. I apologize for that but I was trying to make a point. Resolution is nice but it's only one of the many items needed for great picture quality and resolution is about the only positive of the iPad. It fails in every other critical area. Still an amazing device though.

I think I can safely say that a $10,000 projector is not quite as portable as a $750 iPad.

And, even if the iPad were the only device in someone's home capable of displaying movies, I think it's a great choice because for $750, you can do so much more than simply watch a movie. Plus, $750 might get you a decent plasma or lcd display, but you will still have to buy components and physical media. Digital distribution is much cheaper.

But sure, if you can afford it, drop those benjamins on a home theater system. I don't think there's anything wrong with the fact that you mentioned money, but your argument didn't really make sense anyways.. ($10,000 Vs. $750??). And the whole fact that the iPad is a mobile computing device whereas a projector is a.. projector.

It reminds me of the parody that sarcastic gamer did of the microsoft surface lol. "Why use one of today's more popular, portable models, when you can do the same thing with a device the size of a small car?" lol

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.