Can you tell the higher ppi difference?

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Although it's a welcome feature, I can't spot it compared to the rMini. both look crisp. the colors are a tad bit more vivid in the 6+.

Rogo117

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Anybody able to compare it to the LG G3's screen? A friend of mine has the G3 and it is absolutely beautiful.

tritonxl

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2014
Since I haven't rechecked my att preorder yet I went to best buy to check them out. Hands down the screens are beautiful. The colors are amazing, they are crystal clear. They almost looked like a fake sticker pasted on.

teamjaycub

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2011
I have both the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus at my house, and I can honestly say that I cannot tell the difference between the ppi.

ssls6

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
Although it's a welcome feature, I can't spot it compared to the rMini. both look crisp. the colors are a tad bit more vivid in the 6+.
Vividness (made up word but used to convey an idea) is combination of color depth and contrast ratio. The iPhone 6 has a better contrast ratio than the iphone 6+ by 7% or so. Probably not noticeable.

PPI density is related to viewing distance. 300ppi at a viewing distance of 12 inches is the same as 600ppi at 6 inches or 150ppi at 24 inches. All are at the limit of the human eye (assuming 20/20 vision). Unless you hold the 6+ at least 8 inches or closer to your face, you can't tell the difference.

Just the facts...

drew0020

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2006
I have the plus and my brother has the 6. There is a clear difference between the screens. The 6 on its own looks good but compared to the plus it clearly falls short.

I also saw the new LG today and it blew away both iPhone screens.

hypno

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2012
Anybody able to compare it to the LG G3's screen? A friend of mine has the G3 and it is absolutely beautiful.
I have the LG G3 and the screen is nice, but I think the quad hd is a waste of pixels. Compared to my Retina iPad Mini I think they both pretty much are on par with each other. If the LG G3 does have superiority in some media or moments (which I'm sure it does), it's so small that it isn't meaningful to me. So I don't get my 6 Plus until tomorrow, but assuming that screen is on par with the Retina Mini I don't think I'll be missing the LG G3. I definitely won't be missing Android - a year and a half in that fragmented mess was more than enough.

As a frame of reference I still have a Note 3 (Wife's phone) and Moto X - both those screens look subpar to the Retina Mini and LG G3 to me. Moto X especially but the Note 3 screen isn't really *that* great. Not only are things a bit less crisp, but the whites on S/AMOLED are so dirty it drives me nuts. I know the black levels are better, but I spend more time with these devices displaying whites (i.e. email, text, webpages) than I do with blacks.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I can see the difference between the 5S/6 and the 6 Plus, yes, although both screens look great. I do not think I'd be able to tell the difference between the 6 Plus and anything with a higher ppi. I can see no pixels or aliasing whatsoever (on iOS 8 optimized apps, obviously).

Rogo117

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
I have the LG G3 and the screen is nice, but I think the quad hd is a waste of pixels. Compared to my Retina iPad Mini I think they both pretty much are on par with each other. If the LG G3 does have superiority in some media or moments (which I'm sure it does), it's so small that it isn't meaningful to me. So I don't get my 6 Plus until tomorrow, but assuming that screen is on par with the Retina Mini I don't think I'll be missing the LG G3. I definitely won't be missing Android - a year and a half in that fragmented mess was more than enough.

As a frame of reference I still have a Note 3 (Wife's phone) and Moto X - both those screens look subpar to the Retina Mini and LG G3 to me. Moto X especially but the Note 3 screen isn't really *that* great. Not only are things a bit less crisp, but the whites on S/AMOLED are so dirty it drives me nuts. I know the black levels are better, but I spend more time with these devices displaying whites (i.e. email, text, webpages) than I do with blacks.
Great, thanks for the response!

truelies

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
The retina theory is true, you can't tell differ with normal using distance. But if use magnifier, sure you will.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
Vividness (made up word but used to convey an idea) is combination of color depth and contrast ratio. The iPhone 6 has a better contrast ratio than the iphone 6+ by 7% or so. Probably not noticeable.

PPI density is related to viewing distance. 300ppi at a viewing distance of 12 inches is the same as 600ppi at 6 inches or 150ppi at 24 inches. All are at the limit of the human eye (assuming 20/20 vision). Unless you hold the 6+ at least 8 inches or closer to your face, you can't tell the difference.

Just the facts...
Source?

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
On Apple apps it looks great but developers need to hurry up and update their ****, because it's their apps are hideous zoomed in
The apps are fine now... I can only imagine if they are optimized for the plus... Hmmm

geoff5093

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2014
Dover, NH
When I was at Verizon comparing them, I could only tell the difference if I looked extremely close at text when side by side. If I looked at one, then an hour later looked at the other, they would seem identical to me.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
I found a sure fire way of distinguishing the difference... Go to the wallpaper setting and compare the color hues of the wallpapers side by side... They are night and day difference.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
I have both the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus at my house, and I can honestly say that I cannot tell the difference between the ppi.
It's not the PPI. There is something about iPhone 6+ that makes somehow the display more vibrant, bit brighter and more contrast. This is just by looking at them side by side in the Apple store.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
It's not the PPI. There is something about iPhone 6+ that makes somehow the display more vibrant, bit brighter and more contrast. This is just by looking at them side by side in the Apple store.
That's the word I was looking for, contrast is crisper and more vibrant color hues.

UncleSchnitty

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007

Just the facts...
A++ dead on

His source is basically science hah Ask people who work with high end TVs (not salesmen) or people who work in video production. Your eye can only see so much. Its just like 720p, 1080p, 4k. Its about viewing distance and screen size. You don't see a difference till you are farther away. Your arms become the limiting factor with a phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.