Can you tell the higher ppi difference?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Appl3FTW, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Appl3FTW macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

Although it's a welcome feature, I can't spot it compared to the rMini. both look crisp. the colors are a tad bit more vivid in the 6+.

2. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

I don't know about spotting individual pixels, but I just know that the screen on my new 6+ is stunning.

3. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

4. Rogo117 macrumors regular

Anybody able to compare it to the LG G3's screen? A friend of mine has the G3 and it is absolutely beautiful.

5. tritonxl macrumors newbie

Since I haven't rechecked my att preorder yet I went to best buy to check them out. Hands down the screens are beautiful. The colors are amazing, they are crystal clear. They almost looked like a fake sticker pasted on.

6. teamjaycub macrumors 6502

I have both the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus at my house, and I can honestly say that I cannot tell the difference between the ppi.

7. ssls6 macrumors 6502a

ssls6

Vividness (made up word but used to convey an idea) is combination of color depth and contrast ratio. The iPhone 6 has a better contrast ratio than the iphone 6+ by 7% or so. Probably not noticeable.

PPI density is related to viewing distance. 300ppi at a viewing distance of 12 inches is the same as 600ppi at 6 inches or 150ppi at 24 inches. All are at the limit of the human eye (assuming 20/20 vision). Unless you hold the 6+ at least 8 inches or closer to your face, you can't tell the difference.

Just the facts...

8. Raffi macrumors 6502a

Raffi

The difference can't be seen. What I do notice is that stretched apps look bad on my i6p.

9. truelies macrumors regular

I can't tell difference on my iphone 5, iphone 6 and iphone 6+ in apple store.

10. drew0020 macrumors 68000

drew0020

I have the plus and my brother has the 6. There is a clear difference between the screens. The 6 on its own looks good but compared to the plus it clearly falls short.

I also saw the new LG today and it blew away both iPhone screens.

11. hypno macrumors regular

I have the LG G3 and the screen is nice, but I think the quad hd is a waste of pixels. Compared to my Retina iPad Mini I think they both pretty much are on par with each other. If the LG G3 does have superiority in some media or moments (which I'm sure it does), it's so small that it isn't meaningful to me. So I don't get my 6 Plus until tomorrow, but assuming that screen is on par with the Retina Mini I don't think I'll be missing the LG G3. I definitely won't be missing Android - a year and a half in that fragmented mess was more than enough.

As a frame of reference I still have a Note 3 (Wife's phone) and Moto X - both those screens look subpar to the Retina Mini and LG G3 to me. Moto X especially but the Note 3 screen isn't really *that* great. Not only are things a bit less crisp, but the whites on S/AMOLED are so dirty it drives me nuts. I know the black levels are better, but I spend more time with these devices displaying whites (i.e. email, text, webpages) than I do with blacks.

12. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I can see the difference between the 5S/6 and the 6 Plus, yes, although both screens look great. I do not think I'd be able to tell the difference between the 6 Plus and anything with a higher ppi. I can see no pixels or aliasing whatsoever (on iOS 8 optimized apps, obviously).

13. Rogo117 macrumors regular

Great, thanks for the response!

14. truelies macrumors regular

The retina theory is true, you can't tell differ with normal using distance. But if use magnifier, sure you will.

15. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

Source?

16. lewismayell macrumors 6502a

On Apple apps it looks great but developers need to hurry up and update their ****, because it's their apps are hideous zoomed in

17. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

The apps are fine now... I can only imagine if they are optimized for the plus... Hmmm

18. geoff5093 macrumors 68020

geoff5093

When I was at Verizon comparing them, I could only tell the difference if I looked extremely close at text when side by side. If I looked at one, then an hour later looked at the other, they would seem identical to me.

19. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

I found a sure fire way of distinguishing the difference... Go to the wallpaper setting and compare the color hues of the wallpapers side by side... They are night and day difference.

20. BvizioN macrumors 601

BvizioN

It's not the PPI. There is something about iPhone 6+ that makes somehow the display more vibrant, bit brighter and more contrast. This is just by looking at them side by side in the Apple store.

21. Appl3FTW thread starter macrumors 603

Appl3FTW

That's the word I was looking for, contrast is crisper and more vibrant color hues.

22. ssls6 macrumors 6502a

ssls6

23. UncleSchnitty macrumors 6502a

UncleSchnitty

A++ dead on

His source is basically science hah Ask people who work with high end TVs (not salesmen) or people who work in video production. Your eye can only see so much. Its just like 720p, 1080p, 4k. Its about viewing distance and screen size. You don't see a difference till you are farther away. Your arms become the limiting factor with a phone.

24. thorpey0 macrumors member

Coming from a 4s the 6 Plus I have in my hand is a massive upgrade but the stretched apps do not look nice at all!

25. WilliamG macrumors G3

Played with both at the store yesterday and can honestly say the difference is obvious on text. The missus agreed.