Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twentytwo22

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2010
You can tell, sure.

I, for one, am not really bothered. Not that I wouldn't be happy if it had a retina-type screen, but I think people get too hung up on things like this when in the end, it really won't matter much.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
The worst thing you can do after having an IP4 - is look at any other LCD up close.

Every display I see closer than 18" away looks like a frickin' Lite-Brite now. :(

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Absolutely, but that doesn't mean the screen is bad. It's actually pretty good.

Tony

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
Yes but the display still looks much better than the 1st gen iPad, and I am pretty happy with it.

johnc22

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Atlanta
Very noticeable and makes me consider returning it, but otherwise it's a great device so I'll likely keep it. It's not like any competitors are forthcoming with hi-res alternatives.

9OOYO

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2010
Phone

The iPhone screen size is so small that it requires something like that to make things more readable.

Fliesen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
Austria
Of course you can tell. But you won't mind.

Do you mind looking at a 13" Macbook screen? ... 113dpi
Do you mind looking at a 23" running 1920×1080? .... 96dpi

so the iPad's 132dpi should do fine

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
How does it look different than 1st gen? There weren't any changes except the backlight may cause it to be brighter..?

The screen is thinner and closer to the front glass of the device. This means it has a better viewing angle and improved contrast. Plus the display is newer so there is definitely some tweaks done to it. You can tell the difference right away when viewing them side by side in real life.

MultiMediaWill

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Minneapolis
Of course you can tell. But you won't mind.

Do you mind looking at a 13" Macbook screen? ... 113dpi
Do you mind looking at a 23" running 1920×1080? .... 96dpi

so the iPad's 132dpi should do fine

Thats why i have the High-Res screen on my MacBook and thats also why I have the iPhone 4 (300 dpi).

rkahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
Well that depends... if more developer's developed an iPad version... then no, but if your only choice is the iPhone version... then YES! Please make more iPad applications!!!

C N Reilly

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
This is why I steadfastly maintain the iPad 3 will have a retina display: It practically has to. People want it, and a large percentage of them are fully expecting it.

I just can't see them getting away with it again, unless there's other technology in the 3 that's truly paradigm-shattering. Even if Apple has to raise the price to pull it off, there will be a retina display in it.

9OOYO

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2010
This is why I steadfastly maintain the iPad 3 will have a retina display: It practically has to. People want it, and a large percentage of them are fully expecting it.

I just can't see them getting away with it again, unless there's other technology in the 3 that's truly paradigm-shattering. Even if Apple has to raise the price to pull it off, there will be a retina display in it.

Does it really need it? I don't have an iPhone 4 but am sure they include it just b/c the screen is so small that it requires it.

Wht's the highest rez tablet out there?

MultiMediaWill

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Minneapolis
Does it really need it? I don't have an iPhone 4 but am sure they include it just b/c the screen is so small that it requires it.

I believe sony is coming out with a Tablet that has like 400dpi with a resolution of est. 4000x2000

DS3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2011
And just ~10-12 years ago people wanted 50 inch 640x480 400 pound tvs.

Yes you can tell its not retina as everyone said, but at the same time I hold it up in front of my 22" HP monitor that cost 325 dollars a few years ago and the iPad's screen quality destroys it, not just in DPI but in contrast/viewing angles/color. Great looking screen. Granted its screen may lose some quality in 3 years heh.

9OOYO

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2010
I believe sony is coming out with a Tablet that has like 400dpi with a resolution of est. 4000x2000

I guess since I've never seen the retina I don't know how awesome it is. I always thought the expense of putting it on the phone would just make smaller font more readable.

C N Reilly

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008

It doesn't need it, but it would be so, so sweet if it had it.

I think the Xoom has a slightly higher resolution, but due to other characteristics it doesn't look quite as good as the iPad 2's. (Just what I've heard and read; I've yet to see a Xoom in the wild.)

It's a year from now that Ppple has to worry about. Some Android tablet maker will definitely have something with a higher-res screen; it's an easy way to score PR points against the iPad, especially if the rest of the tablet is just sort of meh.

C N Reilly

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2008
I guess since I've never seen the retina I don't know how awesome it is. I always thought the expense of putting it on the phone would just make smaller font more readable.

I gave my 3GS to my mother when I got the 4. The other day she asked me to help her get past an Angry Birds level, and when I took the 3GS in my hands, I was absolutely shocked at how fuzzy the screen was in comparison. I could barely even make out what the animations were supposed to be. Yet I used those screens on iPhones for 3 years with no problem.

The retina display is that superior.

Fliesen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
Austria
Thats why i have the High-Res screen on my MacBook and thats also why I have the iPhone 4 (300 dpi).

the high res screen on your macbook still has less dpi than the iPad (unless it's the 17" which has exactly the same 132dpi)
the high res 15" and 13" both have 128dpi

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.