Can you tether free wifi?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by Advil, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Advil macrumors 6502a

Hey guys! I have a quick question about tethering. I've been using MyWi with my iPad and it's been great. I know iPhone users get free Wifi at Att locations such as Starbucks and some book stores. If I turned on MyWi while connected to that free Wifi, would it tether the wifi to my iPad or still only 3G?

thanks!

2. RawBert macrumors 68000

RawBert

Your iPad will just connect to the Starbucks wifi directly. No need to redirect from your mywi on the iPhone. If the iPad cannot access it though, I really don't know. You may have to use the 3G signal still.:confused:

3. Advil thread starter macrumors 6502a

Really? All AT&T locations? I thought this was exclusive to iPhone owners with an AT&T plan.

4. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

The wifi is only free for the iPhone thanks to AT&T, but I hear you have get say a Starbucks gift card, register it, to get two hours free daily. I think the poster wants to avoid all that by sharing the iphone's free wifi access.

Maybe the poster can put his iPhone in airplane mode with only wifi, connect to his own wifi, turn on this mywi, then on the ipad, manually select that wifi connection generated from that to see if the internet still works

Edit: Not having used mywi, or similar devices and software, that the wifi works only one way at a time. So no broadcasting wifi and connecting it to a wifi at the same time.

5. Reser macrumors 6502

Think logically. if you are using your wifi to connect to the Ipad, then how on EARTH do you expect to also use your wifi to connect to the wifi at starbucks?

A wifi connection can either broadcast like a router or connect to a network, you cannot do both at the same time. A router can accept multiple connections however a wifi card e.t.c can only connect to one network at a time.

To do what you are asking you would need '2' Wifi connections on your device and that requres 2 wifi cards/devicies.

So no you cannot share wifi using Mywi because your wifi connection is used to actually broadcast an adhoc network for the Ipad to connect to.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

No.

That would require the iPhone wifi to be in wifi receive and send/create network mode at the same time. This can not physically be done.