Can you tether the iphone 4s when roaming internationally ???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DjPiLL, Dec 1, 2011.

1. DjPiLL macrumors member

Going to Mexico next week. Need to get internet access on my laptop. I have a 4s (not jailbroken).

I plan on purchasing one of the international data packs (probably the 275MB one). The most ideal situation for me would be to get this data on my iphone and somehow be able to tether so my laptop can connect to the iphone to get data and use the iphone's allotment of data.

Is this possible? Can the iphone 4s tether? I have an unlimited data plan and i know you can do this domesitcally without a tethering data plan, but if I am roaming internationally shouldn't all data (including tethering) count against the amount of MB I buy?

I have an AT&T myfi that I could use as a backup and get a data plan for that, but i would prefer to just get data for the iphone and tether since I also will need data on the iphone.

TIA.

2. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Depends on the carrier. I know that Telcel and Iusacell offer it on their , but I'm not sure about AT&T roaming abroad. If only, if only, you had an unlocked iPhone. It would make the answer so much clearer.

3. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Good question. You could call AT&T and ask, but I would not be confident that you'd get the right answer.

Unless you get unequivocal confirmation (i.e. hear from someone who has actually successfully done this in Mexico with an AT&T roaming plan), my recommendation is to use the MyFi. You can turn off cellular data on your iPhone and get data on the phone through the MyFi, so you won't lose functions - just means you need to have the MyFi on when you want data on the phone.

4. DjPiLL thread starter macrumors member

Well yes that is my backup plan and your first point is exactly the reason why I am asking here vs. asking AT&T. I am curious though if anyone has done this.