Can you Time Machine to two different HD's?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by btownguy, Jul 15, 2009.

1. btownguy macrumors 6502

I like to keep at least a 6-month backup offsite (in my bank safe deposit box) in case of a serious disaster. Can I use Time Machine with two different HD's? Can I have Time Machine get a backup current on HD1 and then take it to the safe deposit box? Then day-to-day use HD2 with Time Machine? Then a few months out, take HD2 to the safe deposit box and bring back HD1 for day-to-day use?

Or is this going to confuse Time Machine? I know that with a laptop, when your HD is not connected, the system keeps track of what files were added or changed since the last backup. Will Time Machine compare the current system to what is on the HD, or is it simply what was changed since the last backup?

2. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I don't think you can do that. What I would do is get the second hard drive from your safe deposit box, do an rsync of the data on your time machine drive to the one in your safe deposit box, then go put it back. That way it has the latest revision.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Okay, another question. Can I back up to a single Time Machine drive FROM two HDDs?

4. btownguy thread starter macrumors 6502

Or how about one of the other cloning applications like SuperDuper? I'm guessing I could use that and have the safe deposit drive only have clones, while the drive at my house has my Time Machine incrementals. If I clone my HD using something like SuperDuper, I hope Time Machine would be oblivious to that and keep on trucking based on his backup info.

5. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes.

That plan will work. Time Machine does not care/notice if you clone using SD or CCC.

6. btownguy thread starter macrumors 6502

It's settled then. Time Machine at home. Clones in the bank. :D

7. wedi42 macrumors newbie