Can you torrent on the iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ArchXyrho, Dec 16, 2010.

1. ArchXyrho macrumors member

I was wondering, can you torrent on the iPad? With safari or another 3rd party app or tweak from cydia? Hmm let me know :):confused::confused:

2. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

I believe you can after a Jailbreak. I'm sure someone more equiped to answer wil be along shortly...

3. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

There is an iPhone version of Transmission bittorrent client. Think it is command-line only although I have not tried it. Yes, you would have to jailbreak. Apart from as a novelty, I do not think using iPhone/iPad as BT client has much practical use.

You can certainly use iPad as UI for another bittorrent server though. uTorrent has a decent web app optimised for iPhone/iPad. I have a QNAP NAS and use QGetRemote which is great in iPad.

4. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

It's an iPud... oops, I mean iPad. Not a computer.

5. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

I take it you don't have an iPad then? You would be surprised at how usable it is for many "computer" tasks, especially once you add a bluetooth keyboard. There is no technical reason why it cannot act as a bittorrent client. Personally though I would not tie-up valuable iPad time for such a use!

6. sim667 macrumors 65816

I use transmission on my mac and use the web interface to log in and keep an eye on them....

I know its not quite what you were asking, but maybe a good alternative.

7. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

What is your reason for BT? Are you sending? receiving? sharing?

I would imagine that are about a thousand apps that'll allow you to do what it is that you want to do...assuming what you want to torrent is a legal transaction. If it's piracy, there's not a chance...unless through Cydia. And that's not an area I have any experience with.

But again...if by using BT to transfer files to and from friends, share projects, etc...there a ton of different apps that'll allow you to utilize your iPad for these types of projects. I'm assuming you're looking to use torrent in a mainstream manner? The flip side, if you are...there's no need to jailbreak:)

To the iPud comment...just get a paper route dude! You'll be able to afford one soon:) This time of the year, you can also stop by any mall in your area and ask Santa! No need to pepper a thread asking a legitimate question with your unexperienced wisdom. In fact...I'm thinking you should feed your spider! It's probably hungry:rolleyes:

J

8. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

You may want to check this thread out

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=937787

ermak plugin for mobile safari is the most commonly use.

There are a few clients on the JB side and also there are a few option using command line.

9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

...what? There's no way for a BT client to differentiate between a legal fileshare and illegal download.

Can you name some of these thousand apps?

10. bobright macrumors 601

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Why the he'll would you torrent on a iPad?

11. ZilogZ80 macrumors 6502a

I think he is saying that if OP wants to share legit files between friends, colleagues, etc. then there are better options than Bittorrent e.g. DropBox

12. Dumbledorelives macrumors 6502

Dumbledorelives

Why shouldn't you torrent on an iPad? It works just fine. I've torrented on my iPod touch before. Incredibly slow, I'll tell you that, but it got the job done when I was away from my computer.

13. ArchXyrho, Dec 22, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2010

ArchXyrho thread starter macrumors member

Vuze has something like that also. Hmmm I guess that is as close as it gets right now

14. Bladerunnerx macrumors newbie

Here's what I do, since almost everything I torrent is for the PC. I use the free Teamviewer app for the iPhone/iPad to connect to the PC running uTorrent.

15. ArchXyrho thread starter macrumors member

Isn't thats like remote desktop? o_O?