iPad Can you transfer current data plan to new iPad 4 LTE? (AT&T)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by eleite, Nov 14, 2012.

1. eleite macrumors regular

eleite

Our family is replacing an iPhone with the new iPad 4 cellular with AT&T. Does anyone know how this process works with AT&T? Will they want to renew a 2 yr contract or can they simply *transfer* the current data plan contract to the new device? I see on Apple's site that AT&T offers a no-commitment plan for data - so does that mean the contract will go away?

In the end we will only have two data devices with AT&T so the shared data plan is not being considered.

cheers :cool:

2. Dav1 macrumors 6502

If I understand what you are asking correctly the answer is no.

1) you have two iPhone contracts with AT&T the new iPad is NOT an iPhone. So you'll have two iPhone contracts (or you will be subject to an early cancelation fee for one contract.) and an AT&T iPad plan after you buy the new iPad...

2) based on my experience with an iPad 1 and iPad 3 with AT&T...

3. bursthead macrumors 6502

bursthead

Another option would be purchasing an unlimited ATT ipad data plan on ebay or craiglist.

For example:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unlimited-D...190754887268?pt=SIM_Cards&hash=item2c69e09664

You may not transfer or convert unlimited voice+data plans into unlimited data plans with ATT. I believe the issue is that an unlimited data plan with a voice a plan is an add on feature. So its not possible to transfer an add on feature.

Also do not confuse the many threads that mention this with att, because the ability to do any sort of transfer is specific to the carrier Verizon. And even when you do a transfer into an ipad on verizon, you will still have to carry your voice plan with the data package.

4. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

You can buy data for the iPad on a month to month basis with no contract. It will cost less this way unless you are going to get the shared data plan, then you can add the iPad for $10 a month.

Att will not let you substitute an iPad for a cell phone on contract.