Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I only tether when I'm traveling, as I have wifi everywhere I go in my normal day to day life.

If I use AT&T's app to turn on tethering before I leave on a trip, and turn it off again when I get home, will the extra $20 charge be pro-rated for the time I'm on my trip?

For a weekend trip (say, three days) that comes out to about $2-$3 which isn't bad at all, and I can get online as needed. My tethering is very light usage so I'm not too worried about the 2GB cap.

Has anyone tried this? Are there extra charges or caveats? I'm traveling over near years and am thinking of attempting it but would love to hear if it's worked for anyone else first.

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
I only tether when I'm traveling, as I have wifi everywhere I go in my normal day to day life.

If I use AT&T's app to turn on tethering before I leave on a trip, and turn it off again when I get home, will the extra $20 charge be pro-rated for the time I'm on my trip?

For a weekend trip (say, three days) that comes out to about $2-$3 which isn't bad at all, and I can get online as needed. My tethering is very light usage so I'm not too worried about the 2GB cap.

Has anyone tried this? Are there extra charges or caveats? I'm traveling over near years and am thinking of attempting it but would love to hear if it's worked for anyone else first.

AT&T's tethering for the iPhone is $20 or $30 a month. I don't think it works the way you're thinking.

You can jailbreak your iPhone, buy an app from Cydia called MyWi ($20 - one time) and tether away without AT&T knowing. MyWi is perfect if you still have AT&T's unlimited data. <- I do this all the time.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
So there's no way to use it unless you pay for the entire month?

That makes it fairly useless, as most places have for-pay Wifi, and when I do use it I end up paying less than $20 on a typical trip.

Oh well. Shame that AT&T has to kill such a useful feature by making it so expensive.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
So there's no way to use it unless you pay for the entire month?

That makes it fairly useless, as most places have for-pay Wifi, and when I do use it I end up paying less than $20 on a typical trip.

Oh well. Shame that AT&T has to kill such a useful feature by making it so expensive.

I believe you can cancell it early and just get prorated charges for the days you used it. Call up AT&T for details though.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
Original poster
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Well, I got tired of "wondering", so I'm going to take the risk and be a guinea pig.

I'm traveling for New Years. I'm going to turn on tethering before I leave, and use it while traveling. Then when I get home, I'll turn it off.

When my next bill comes (in about a month) I'll let you know what the damage is. I'm willing to take a little risk to settle this question finally, as I've not seen it answered *anywhere*.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Well, I got tired of "wondering", so I'm going to take the risk and be a guinea pig.

I'm traveling for New Years. I'm going to turn on tethering before I leave, and use it while traveling. Then when I get home, I'll turn it off.

When my next bill comes (in about a month) I'll let you know what the damage is. I'm willing to take a little risk to settle this question finally, as I've not seen it answered *anywhere*.

If you have unlimited data, you will permanently lose unlimited if you turn on tethering. Something you might want to consider if you have unlimited.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.