Can you type without looking at the keyboard?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Retired Cat, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Retired Cat macrumors 65816

I find touch typing a bit tough on the virtual keyboard, but the edge of the screen provides some physical context and autocorrect also helps (sometimes).

Anyone good at touch typing on the iPhone keyboard?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

I do it rather often at the boring meetings I go to. Helps that everyone else thinks that it can't be done. Overall, I make very few errors and type with a slightly slower than my average speed.

3. sixrom macrumors 6502a

4. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

5. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I haven't been able to since the days of the old Nokia candy bars.

6. I7guy macrumors G5

I'm an old school touch typist, but I can't type on a virtual keyboard looking at it.

7. Retired Cat thread starter macrumors 65816

I saw on the App Store that there's an app that teaches iOS typing. Might have to try that out! I make tons of mistakes if I don't look at the keyboard.

8. cynics macrumors G4

I can but I have to be looking at what typing like you'd type on a computer. If I'm not then it's very hit or miss.

9. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'm able to type without looking on my iPhone pretty well. Using a Swype style keyboard on an Android phone without looking produced less errors though.

10. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

I can, but my typing is slower and I put a lot of faith into autocorrect. For the most part it works out good enough for me.

11. businezguy macrumors 6502

I can type fine on an old fashioned keyboard, but I have no idea how folks manage to do it with a virtual keyboard, especially on a screen as small as the iPhone's. I have nothing but respect for those who can.

12. 869639 macrumors 6502

I can type 99% of the time without looking and also interact with the screen for other things as well as my phones practically memorized lol...

13. C DM macrumors Westmere

14. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

Probably just muscle memory. I'm not able to do it on any other phone that's a different size unless I've been using it for a while for practice.

15. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I can do it as well. But, I proof read it before sending. It's odd that I'm more comfortable using one hand (thumb) to type than 2.

16. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

I am able to type short words without looking at the keyboard, and the spell check function really helps with this. But, longer words require me to look at the keyboard. I do believe I am improving, though.

17. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

No chance at all on my iPhone....better on the iPad, but on my Logitech wireless KB in the iMac I can pretty much touch type...I glance down if I need to shift or find a symbol, but that's it.

I remember doing a typing test years ago which to my amazement I passed...I think you had to hit 35 WPM with something like 2 errors allowed.

Luck, pure luck....:)

18. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

Don't sell yourself short, even looking at the keyboard while you type will help you memorize the location of the keys.

19. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Kind words, but I doubt my speed is likely to increase much now...most of what I do on my iMac is Logic / Aperture based, so there isn't a lot of typing involved there...I'm pretty quick on this ( IPad) though...:)

20. merrickdrfc macrumors 6502

merrickdrfc

Yeah, it doesn't seem to take me long to get acquainted with a new keyboard, but then again I do a lot of typing (software developer)

21. flybub macrumors regular

I could type novels on my iPhone 4 and 4s without looking at it but i cant do it on my s4. Doesn't matter what keyboard it is on Android I have to look at the screen to type

22. CEmajr macrumors 601

I used to be able to before iOS 7. I had gotten used to where all the keys were without looking. Now I make too many mistakes if I don't look.

23. C DM macrumors Westmere

I'm more or less in the same boat, not quite sure what really changed to cause that much of a difference.

24. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

25. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

Yes I can. Its easy... :D

Attached Files: