Can you undo 'Convert to 128kbps'?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lupend88, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lupend88 macrumors 6502

lupend88

I know my original files will stay the same, but if I notice a difference in sound after I convert, is it a simple click that can change them back to a higher bit rate on my iphone/ipod/ipad? Thanks!

2. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

You'd have to resync all your music. It's converted before being moved to the device.

3. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

You can't really* re-encode or convert a 128kbps audio file back to a higher quality as the information that was removed during the conversion to 128kbps is no longer there. You would have to delete the files from your device and then reload the original files.

*You can re-encode a 128kbps to say 320kbps but you just end up with a larger file with the same diminished audio quality.

4. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Yes, it's completely reversible just by unchecking that option. It takes a long time to sync when you change it either way, however, since it replaces everything on the device.

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

No, because once you (permanently) throw away (delete) all the info to compress the music file you can't get it back (it's run through a garbage disposal:D). As gloss says you must go back to the source.

6. BrennerM macrumors regular

When you convert it creates a second copy of the file. As long as you keep both copies, you can just delete the 128k version if you don't like it. If you delete the original, you can't magically recreate the extra data that was in the higher-bitrate version.

Note: I assume we are talking about using iTunes to convert the file.

7. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

It downconverts your higher bitrate files to 128 and then syncs them to your iDevice. Uncheck and resync and you are back to normal. It will even sync faster because there is no transcoding involved but should you want to go back to 128 again, its a long first sync because the files are only stored on the iDevice.

8. cRuNcHiE macrumors 6502a

I've never actually used that option but wondered about it.

I wish they would let you choose the 'lower' bitrate as 128 is too low imo, 192 would be better considering the rest is 256-320

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.