Can you upgrade the CPU on a 2010 iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jgorinac, Jun 27, 2012.

1. jgorinac macrumors newbie

I have a 2010 iMac that I purchased a while back. It's a core 2 duo CPU so it's a bit outdated to say the least. Today I came across some samsung 256gb SSDs for about 190 a pop and was thinking on putting them in my iMac. Would it be worth it though if it's just an core 2 duo though? Can it be ugraded?

2. Buffsteria macrumors regular

Buffsteria

It's worth upgrading to SSD. I think you can only put one in, two if you're willing to replace the SuperDrive.

We were going to do it to our 2009 Core 2 Duo. But we're not sure what we're doing next. We might wait for the iMac refresh or get a 12 core Mac Pro. It's all up in the air, but if we were keeping this iMac we'd certainly get an SSD in there.

By the way your title says "Can you upgrade the CPU on a 2010 iMac?"
    The question is about the disk drives.

3. jgorinac thread starter macrumors newbie

Also, will I see a big difference if I switch to SSDs in this iMac? Honestly, I think the thing runs just fine with the core 2 duo but I searched the forum and found my answer about the CPU, it wouldn't work. But now I want to know about the SSDs in this iMac. Should I do it??

4. jgorinac thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess I'm just going to wait for the new
    line of iMacs. I had questions about both but yeah you're right. I'm just not someone who likes to loose so much money on things.. If I try to sell this iMac, I'm going to get less than half I payed for :/

5. robgendreau macrumors 68040

No, you can't upgrade the CPU. But depending on what you're doing, the SSD might give you a bigger speed boost.

Note that as time goes on the iMacs and MBPs get harder to upgrade (or even maintain); at least you have some options with that 2009.

Rob

6. Aameiel macrumors regular

Aameiel

U will see a increase in performance with the SSD's for sure , i would do it, and sorry to say u cant upgrade the cpu but for everyday tasks like browsing the web , checking emails, etc its more enough. hope this helps . :)