Can you upgrade the new MB/MBP grapics card?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by justind.clark, Oct 29, 2008.

1. justind.clark macrumors member

I was just wondering if you could potentially upgrade the graphics card in the new MB/MBP? I heard somewhere that in the new macbooks you can upgrade everything but the processor, is this true? If not what can you upgrade? I have an early 2008 MB and I have found the lack of upgrading possibilities to be the primary weakness (mostly in the graphics department). So this could be a major selling point for me.

2. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

In short, No. The video processor is soldered onto the motherboard. In fact the only things you can replace is the ram and hardrive.

3. pw1388 macrumors member

i think most laptop in general u cant upgrade the graphics card just because they way the case is design its wont work. If u build your own laptop then i can see that happening.

4. arthursiew macrumors 6502

arthursiew

No, you cannot upgrade the graphics card. For both the MB and MBP, the 9400M is integrated, so it's built right into the logic board. Even though the MBP's 9600GT is a dedicated one, you probably can't change it. Apple chose those parts, because they were meant to be together.