Can you upgrade the new Retina MBP SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NovemberWhiskey, Jun 11, 2012.

1. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Can you upgrade the new Retina MBP SSD with aftermarket units, or are you limited to what comes form the factory?

2. shadowness macrumors regular

Nope! From the pictures it looks like the flash modules are soldered on the logic board!

3. Stetrain macrumors 68040

The picture I saw clearly showed the RAM to be soldered, but I didn't see a clear shot of soldered flash. I would guess it's on a small board like the Macbook Air uses.

4. djrobsd macrumors 6502a

So the MacBook Air ones are on a removable board almost like a memory module? Do people sell after market upgrades, i.e. if you have a 64Gig MacBook Air, can you go 128? I wonder if the same will hold true for the new MacBook Pro.

That would suck if your SSD went out and you had to replace the entire logic board, versus buying a new SSD on NewEgg for $200 bucks.

5. Stetrain macrumors 68040

[​IMG]

You can see the SSD board just below the left fan. There's a connector at the right side and a screw at the left side.

Right now you can get SSD boards for the Macbook Air from OWC:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Aura_Pro_Express

I bet that they'll soon announce versions that are compatible with the new Macbook Pro.

6. Rmafive macrumors 6502

From the picture it looks like you will be able to upgrade the SSD, as it seems to have the same connection as the Macbook Air.

7. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

It would make sense for Apple to use the same products across the ranges.