Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 18, 2009
Can you upgrade the new Retina MBP SSD with aftermarket units, or are you limited to what comes form the factory?

shadowness

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2010
Nope! From the pictures it looks like the flash modules are soldered on the logic board!

Comment

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
Nope! From the pictures it looks like the flash modules are soldered on the logic board!

The picture I saw clearly showed the RAM to be soldered, but I didn't see a clear shot of soldered flash. I would guess it's on a small board like the Macbook Air uses.

Comment

djrobsd

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2008
The picture I saw clearly showed the RAM to be soldered, but I didn't see a clear shot of soldered flash. I would guess it's on a small board like the Macbook Air uses.

So the MacBook Air ones are on a removable board almost like a memory module? Do people sell after market upgrades, i.e. if you have a 64Gig MacBook Air, can you go 128? I wonder if the same will hold true for the new MacBook Pro.

That would suck if your SSD went out and you had to replace the entire logic board, versus buying a new SSD on NewEgg for $200 bucks.

Comment

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
performance.jpg

You can see the SSD board just below the left fan. There's a connector at the right side and a screw at the left side.

Right now you can get SSD boards for the Macbook Air from OWC:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/Aura_Pro_Express

I bet that they'll soon announce versions that are compatible with the new Macbook Pro.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.