Can you use a Apple gift card to pre-order a IPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Marfox, Jun 11, 2010.

1. Marfox macrumors newbie

Marfox

I have a apple gift card i got as a gift it has $250 on it and i never used it so i was thinking of pre-ordering the IPhone 4 with it....but am i allowed to do that?

thx :)

2. doubleatheman macrumors 6502a

doubleatheman

NO (Assuming Apple sticks to it's ways in the past) (Though Apple did recently drop its no cash limitation also)

Also When I was in the iPad 3g lines, I was told no giftcards by several Apple employees.

3. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

they've been kinda weird with gift cards in the past... but hell, it's still currency... I would probably have some backup funding just in case.

4. j3yq macrumors 6502

j3yq

Not trying to be a smart a$$ but asked the store... A lot of time every store is different. Some employees may let you, while others will stick to the policy.

5. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i would also ask the store. i know apple sells a gift card specifically for iphones (the iphone gift card), but i don't know if regular retail gift cards can be used for the purchase of iphones.

who knows? they might just say no to the whole gift card thing for the iphone 4.

6. elephunkman macrumors 65816

You can buy iPhones using gift cards in store.

7. Press22 macrumors 6502

Press22

What if you want to preorder online for delivery? Can you still use a gift card?

8. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

This is what I was planning on doing. What's the deal?

9. Press22 macrumors 6502

Press22

I just called sales and asked and they said "...uhhhh they haven't told us the details but I would imagine you'd have to put a credit card down."

10. calvy macrumors 65816

I've got a 200 dollar gift card. I plan to pre order using the balance of said gift card and a credit card for the remainder. I hope like hell they let me pay this way, because I dont know what else I'd do with the 200 dollar apple credit.

11. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

Same. I've got to imagine they would do this. It makes no sense to have an Apple gift card and then not be able to use it on a popular Apple product.

12. Kyliec89 macrumors member

I was just given a 250 dollar apple card for my birthday specifically for an iphone purchase. right on the card holder it says "can be used for iphone purchase", and i plan on bringing that in with me to pick up the phone. if they try to deny that, there will be hell, because i don't even know how they can do that.

13. Kyliec89 macrumors member

Found this article. Its a little old, but I think its addressing some of these issues:

Whether you're planning to give an Apple gift card as a gift intended to be used to purchase an iPhone, or are expecting to receive one for the same purpose, be sure to read on and make yourself aware of Apple's policy regarding the use of Apple gift cards for iPhone purchases both online and at retail locations. You should not be getting turned away when attempting to purchase an iPhone with Apple gift cards.
    For some time, many Apple stores were simply refusing to accept Apple gift cards as payment towards the purchase of the iPhone. This action, however, was in error. As stated above, the goal of Apple in refusing cash as a purchase medium for the iPhone was to reduce the number of untraceable phones out there. Allowing a gift card to be used as the sole method of payment for an iPhone results in an untraceable phone. Allowing it to be used for a portion of the purchase does not.
    As recently as yesterday, Apple has confirmed that gift cards are a perfectly viable form of payment for the Apple iPhone as long as they are not the only form of payment involved. A credit card is still required. Most stores ask that the buyer put the first $20 of an iPhone purchase on a major credit card and allow Apple gift cards to be used for the remainder. Technically, however, putting any amount of the purchase on a credit card meets Apple's requirements.

14. GfPQqmcRKUvP macrumors 68040

GfPQqmcRKUvP

That actually seems to make some sense. I have a $100 card so I hope it will let me use that when I'm pre-ordering online since I'll have to pay the other $300 by credit card (with tax based on unsubsidized price. damn you california).

15. Kyliec89 macrumors member

Yeah I also read that they went to court over a few issues with not letting people use it for iphones. But the website says something about how they can change what items gift cards can be used for at any time, and I will be really scared until June 24th now that they are going to make iPhone 4 not available by gift card. That would really, really suck for me. I would cry.lol