Can you use a different remote with the Apple TV?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by max2, Jun 11, 2018.

1. max2 macrumors 68030

Are must you use the one that it comes with please?

2. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

My receiver remote for some reason controls it, menus, arrow keys, etc. dunno how I did that... Maybe via cec?

Also AppleTV phone app is pretty handy. Can turn all your **** on and control it from a flik with control panel widget.

3. Black Creek macrumors newbie

I control mine with Logitech Harmoney Elite! Works great for me.

4. Bigmizzoufan macrumors newbie

Harmony Companion works great for me.

5. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

The ATV 2, 3, 4, and 4K all have an IR remote learning feature. They can use almost any IR remote out there.

It is in the remote settings.

All my Apple TVs use the remote of the TV that they are connected to.

6. HobeSoundDarryl, Jun 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2018

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    Yes. Any remote with an :apple:TV code can control it (which will be most of the "universal" remotes out there- even the cheapies). This is the old booklet full of programming codes- usually 4 or 5-digit to make the remote work with different TVs, different disc players, receivers, etc. Often there is a code for :apple:TV in that list too.

And :apple:TV goes further than that by offering to "learn" a remote the other way. In other words, randomly select just about any remote in the world, (use the included remote to) choose the option in the :apple:TV menus to learn that remote, then follow on-screen prompts for it to adapt to that remote. IMO, this is a particularly GREAT feature that all other AV equip should "copy." As a result, I've opted to set my universal remote up with some code from an old DVR and then get the :apple:TV to "learn" it's buttons. That choice gives me a unique button for the core feature set and buttons not even on the modern :apple:TV remote (which grants maximum remote functionality)

The ONE catch to all this: almost all alternatives will not give you SIRI functionality. I don't care much about that- can always revert to the boxed remote if I need that for some unique situation. But if you do care about that, choices become very, very limited. And, of course, many game apps can use the original remote as a controller, where that might not work as well with a universal remote (but again, you can always keep the stock remote around to use if you need it for such a situation... or pick up an actual gaming controller for :apple:TV).

7. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

I agree. The remote learning feature on the Apple TV is sometimes that I would like to see other AV manufacturers adopt.

I am surprised that so many ATV owners don't know about this.

I really dislike the constant swiping in the tvOS apps, and having an IR remote with physical directional buttons helps with this.

For people that don't know, this is referring to buttons that are typically on AV equipment remotes, like FF, Skip forward, Skip Back, RW, separate pause and play buttons, and some other buttons.

8. HobeSoundDarryl, Jun 11, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2018

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 604

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    I wish Apple would decide to recognize the rest of the buttons of a traditional remote- even the number buttons. Having more buttons for discrete (traditional TV) functions could be useful to programmers like the streaming service providers and entities like Channels (app) as both still have traditional channels and sometimes numbered channels (but no way to punch in the numbers to jump to a specific channels (it's always scroll)).

With the (IMO TERRIFIC) Channels app, I am able to reorganize channels into a list order of my choosing (so I bunch up my favorites all right together) but sometimes I want to jump down to the channels toward the bottom of the list and that requires a scroll. I'd love to be able to just punch in the channel numbers.

Nevertheless, I do like those more discrete function buttons (not visible on the stock :apple:TV remote).

9. tvOStoday macrumors newbie

tvOStoday

Remotes have now been added to Apples HomeKit category list as of last Friday at WWDC. We could soon see all in one remotes with Siri and track pad functionality. That may solve your query.

10. Tech198 macrumors G5

I use Apple silver remote, and Harmony remote we use with Apple TV 3...

I prefer using the silver one, while my parents prefer using Harmony.