Can you use a MacBook Air superdrive with an iMac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by darbyclash34, Nov 12, 2008.

1. darbyclash34 macrumors regular

I have a First Gen iMac with a bad superdrive. Can we use the external Macbook Air drive to fix this? Thanks!

Shawn

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

you might. someone correct me if im wrong but the mba drive needs more power than the usb on the imac will supply. thus, you may need a usb y-connector to use to usb ports to get the power

or

you could just buy an external dvd drive from like newegg

3. bobdard macrumors regular

Google it, and with enough searching, you'll find a mod available for the Air's superdrive to make it work with any Mac. It will cost you about $10 to mod the drive...

I'd say also check how much Apple would charge you to fix the drive outside of warranty...I don't think it would be more than $150. I know that's a lot for a DVD burner, but you're essentially going to end up paying $120 or so for the Superdrive + mod and you'll waste a USB port and it wont look as pleasant as having one built into your machine....

4. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

There are external drives (Sony) that will work with MBA and any other model. It has nothing to do with power. I'm not really sure why Apple disabled it the way they did.

The Sony drives don't look too bad either.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

im pretty sure it is, at least what ive read

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=482737

for example