Can you use airplay and a headphone jack at the same time?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by marker227, Apr 11, 2013.

1. marker227 macrumors 6502

Here's what I'm trying to do. I want to play music via Airplay, but I also want to have it come out of the headphone jack at the same time.. That way, I feed the audio back through the input and record it or use it live.

Is this possible? If not, I guess the other way would be to split the audio coming out of the headphone jack and run 1 cable to the input and 1 to the speaker.

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

only iTunes allows multiple outputs. iDevices u can only chose one.

3. marker227 thread starter macrumors 6502

Is there any 3rd party software that would allow me to do this?

I know Midi / Audio devices in the Utilities folder can do something like it, but I wasn't able to include AirPlay.

4. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Be aware that AirPlay is going to have some latency - even if you could get it to work, the two audio streams will be offset a little bit, not in sync.

5. APlotdevice, Apr 12, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2013

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Actually AirPlay tries to keep everything in sync through buffering.

6. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

All AirPlay streams, yes. But if the built-in headphone were also working, I would expect it to be ahead of the AirPlay streams. I suppose they could figure that out through software though.

7. jdechko macrumors 68040

With Airfoil from Rogue Amoeba, you can play any audio to multiple sources from your Mac. You are correct, though, that iDevices can only have one audio output.

8. marker227 thread starter macrumors 6502

I wasn't able to do both. I used a 4 channel mixer with a 3 mini stereo splitter to my speakers. Works great!

9. meistervu macrumors 65816

I think you are right. I tried watching some videos with the sound coming through AirPlay, and there was enough delay to make video and sound out of sync.

10. Whylenny macrumors newbie

Whylenny

--- Post Merged, May 18, 2016 ---
    Trying to get the hang of this. I was watching mirrored show and got a phone call. When I hung up the picture was still on the screen but the audio was on my phone This happened twice so it might be a workaround

11. marker227 thread starter macrumors 6502

No offense, but you bumped a 3 year old thread. I don't have this issue any longer.

12. d-b macrumors newbie

How did you solve it? I am also interested in a solution.
    --- Post Merged, May 27, 2016 ---
    Since it isn't (?) supported on iOS we wouldn't know but at least when I use both the headphone jack and Airplay (to two different devices) I am unable to notice any sync problems.

13. marker227 thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't solve it actually. I just decided to use other ways to get audio without it being complicated.

14. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

I believe the WHAALE app can do this, but it is limited to the number of sources that it has available.