Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
It is :/ That's why I'm so confused as to why it's not working. It keeps saying that I need to use another username, but I'm using the one that is listed under the SMB stuff.

its trying to conenct using the WORKGROUP domain. ugh i hate that. ill think about it for a bit. sometimes it sorts itself out.

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Uh-oh...that sounds even more confusing. Thanks so much for your help!

thats ok. hmm pondering time. i remember that i did fix it once upon a time, but i cant remember how!

in the credentials, type your computer name first, then the username of the account that is available.

e.g. my computers name is iDrum-7 (cuz i play drums and its an imac lol).

map to: "\\10.0.1.3\dofot9" {that maps to my user folder}
credentials: "iDrum-i7\dofot9" then my password. that forces the computer to use the credentials of my mac, and not the ridiculous WORKSPACE domain or whatever it is!

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
After having read several horror stories about drives partitioned for both the Mac and PC file systems - in which the user usually lost data on the Mac side while the drive was being used with a PC - I've come to the conclusion that if you have Mac-created data that you _value_, don't entrust it to a "dual-formatted" drive.

Instead, keep it on a Mac-ONLY formatted drive (either partitioned or not).

If one needs a "dual-formatted" external drive platform, get a SECOND drive for that.

Put PC-formatted data on it, and Mac data if you need to, but again - put the IMPORTANT Mac data on the Mac-only format drive.

regulusblack

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2010
thats ok. hmm pondering time. i remember that i did fix it once upon a time, but i cant remember how!

in the credentials, type your computer name first, then the username of the account that is available.

e.g. my computers name is iDrum-7 (cuz i play drums and its an imac lol).

map to: "\\10.0.1.3\dofot9" {that maps to my user folder}
credentials: "iDrum-i7\dofot9" then my password. that forces the computer to use the credentials of my mac, and not the ridiculous WORKSPACE domain or whatever it is!

I left to go out of town this morning, but I will definitely try that as soon as I can!

regulusblack

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2010
After having read several horror stories about drives partitioned for both the Mac and PC file systems - in which the user usually lost data on the Mac side while the drive was being used with a PC - I've come to the conclusion that if you have Mac-created data that you _value_, don't entrust it to a "dual-formatted" drive.

Instead, keep it on a Mac-ONLY formatted drive (either partitioned or not).

If one needs a "dual-formatted" external drive platform, get a SECOND drive for that.

Put PC-formatted data on it, and Mac data if you need to, but again - put the IMPORTANT Mac data on the Mac-only format drive.

I'll definitely keep that in mind. I ended up formatting it for Mac-only, which looks like it'll work from your experience :)

regulusblack

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2010
no problems. ill be here :)

Thanks!! I really appreciate all the time you're taking to help me. Maybe one day I'll know enough to where I can answer questions instead of just asking...hahaha. I'll let you know if it works!

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Thanks!! I really appreciate all the time you're taking to help me. Maybe one day I'll know enough to where I can answer questions instead of just asking...hahaha. I'll let you know if it works!

thats ok. its what i am on these forums for! helping people is my main aim, and a troubling problem just makes me want to try even harder!

what are you good at? maybe i have a need for you :p

regulusblack

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2010
thats ok. its what i am on these forums for! helping people is my main aim, and a troubling problem just makes me want to try even harder!

what are you good at? maybe i have a need for you :p

Ummm....I'm really good at math and chemistry. Need any of that? lol

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom

regulusblack

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2010
im doing data structures, things based around logical maths and whatnot. you any good at that? :p

interesting to note! thanks for that :)

Umm...doubt it. Most of my math has been calculus.

I finally got it to work!!!!!! Sweeet!! Thanks for your help :)

regulusblack

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2010
im doing data structures, things based around logical maths and whatnot. you any good at that? :p

interesting to note! thanks for that :)

Well dangit, I spoke too soon. It's letting me connect, but I can't paste any files into it because it keeps saying I need permission to do it. Any ideas?

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
Well dangit, I spoke too soon. It's letting me connect, but I can't paste any files into it because it keeps saying I need permission to do it. Any ideas?

try this, go to the shared drive through the Finder, "get Info" on it and click "ignore permissions" or something along those lines. see how that goes, you might have to disconnect and reconnect.

regulusblack

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 15, 2010
try this, go to the shared drive through the Finder, "get Info" on it and click "ignore permissions" or something along those lines. see how that goes, you might have to disconnect and reconnect.

Okay, it's finally working! The problem was that the permissions were "read only" instead of "read and write." My pictures are transferring as I type :) Thanks so much for all your help!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.