can you use an imac as pc display or a cinema display

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Superfly611, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Superfly611 macrumors member

i do some video editing, music, pictures, and email and internet browsing. can i use the imac as a pc display or an apple cinema display for a pc. i still need the pc for some things such as playing world in conflict and company of heroes and some other pc only things. should i just get a mac mini with the apple cinema display or preferably an imac? what have some of you done? i use a kvm switch for my computers each computer for different things. what have some of you done?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

What video outputs does your PC have and what GPU does it have? 27" iMac can be used as a display and so can 27" ACD (or other Cinema Display). However, you need an expensive adapter or GPU with (Mini) DisplayPort, otherwise it won't work.

I would just get Mini and Dell U2711 so you won't need any adapters or other crap

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Only the 27" iMac, the one introduced last autumn (2009), can be used as an external display, for all the other iMacs you might take a look at ScreenRecycler. As for the Apple Cinema Display, that depends on which model exactly, as some have a DVI cable (works with modern PCs) and some have a MDP cable, which might not work with your PC, unless you have a GPU with MDP-Out.

4. Superfly611 thread starter macrumors member

Dell XPS 720 has an NVIDIA Geforce 8800 GT

my Dell XPS 720 has two DVI ports on it (NVIDIA Geforce 8800 GT). The kvm is a VGA switch which I use for my other computers. It all goes to a Samsung SyncMaster 226 BW. My main machine is connected by way of DVI. The kvm is connected to the monitor by way of VGA.

Also, to spend close to $1000 on just a monitor seems pointless. I'd rather just get an iMac and pay for the converter of whatever's needed. Or keep a small monitor nearby to use for the PC.

I guess I could also dual-boot the new iMac to have Windows on it (ugh I know).

Thanks for everyone's help so far, keep it coming.

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

The adapter is 200$. I doubt your KVM switch will work with iMac because it has such high resolution (most switches are single-link). Well, it would work but not at native res.