Can you use an old iPhone 4 without cell service?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by EnvyX2, Oct 7, 2012.

1. EnvyX2 macrumors newbie

If someone were to buy a new iPhone and give me their old iPhone, would I be able to use that old iPhone 4 as an iPod Touch? I know there won't be calls and texting and some other features of course but would it be possible to just use it as an iPod Touch with just wifi? If so, what would I need to do? This is on Verizon Wireless.
    Thanks.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, as long as its activated and you can get into the homescreen then you can use it as an ipod touch.
    If its stuck on the connect to itunes activation screen then you wont get any further without getting it activated first.

3. EnvyX2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, but what do you mean by activated? How would I do this?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

The old user/seller if they restore it make sure they activate it.
    And then they can transfer their number from the iphone 4 to their new phone.
    But if they give it to you after its restored and on the connect to itunes screen then you wont get anywhere past that.
    So just make sure when they hand it to you this is the screen you see when you slide to unlock.

[​IMG]

5. monkeydodo3 macrumors member

Basically, if you can use the phone normally without the SIM card (like you can see the Springboard), then you're fine. You're only unactivated if you've restored it, and can't go on any further because you can't re-setup the phone without a SIM card in it.

6. EnvyX2 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay so how would you activate it on Verizon Wireless? Verizon doesn't use sim cards on their iPhone am I right?

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, they dont.
    You have to plug it to itunes and program the number to it. Have it activate and then transfer the number back to the new phone.