Can you use Google Voice to text with an iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jonhcox, Feb 11, 2011.

1. jonhcox macrumors regular

I am currently trying to cut expenses so that I can more quickly pay off my student loans, so I sold my iPhone 4 and cut my data plan. It will save my wife and I a sizable chunk of change every month. That said, texting on my replacement phone is difficult at best. I am basically at home or work and both have wifi so I didn't need the data capabilities of the iPhone since I have an iPad that I take with me. I have heard that I could utilize Google Voice to send my texts to me as emails, allowing me to respond from my iPad using either GV Connect or Messenger for Google Voice.

Can this be done and has anyone here done this? Frankly, reviewing the specifics on Google, I wasn't able to find any clarification, or it was slightly confusing. Any thoughts? And thanks for the input.

2. knucklehead macrumors 6502a

Yes!

iPad, GoogleVoice and a cheap pay as you go phone, the iPad pays for itself in not too many months of saved iPhone monthly expenses.
    Return your calls using free VOIP services such as Talkatone.

3. jonhcox thread starter macrumors regular

I have an older phone that I am using to make voice calls but I'm not sure how to set it up so that I can text from my iPad. I heard that Google will allow you to port your number soon, which will be easier than giving everyone a new number, right? Call me stupid, I just found Google's description vague.

4. knucklehead macrumors 6502a

I don't recall exactly how to set it up, but it wasn't difficult. You set things up within GV.
    Just set up a GV account and try it --- it's free, and I can't think of a downside to trying it.
    I have a T-Mobile phone which has some limitations on forwarding voice messages, but I haven't found it much of a problem to work around. You might find some issues specific to your phone --- just give it a shot.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

There are also texting app you can use to send text between iPad and cell phones. I use one called textPlus, but there are others. Many are free, or have trial versions, so try a few to find one that works for you.

6. DaWeav macrumors newbie

DaWeav

There are a few apps that do SMS, including Google's own Google Voice app. AND, using the Talkatone app, I can even make phone calls from my iPad.