can you use imac just as a monitor

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Acorn, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

just curious if you can hook up another machine or xbox 360 to the imac and use the imacs display.

2. Acorn thread starter macrumors 68020

Acorn

on the 2010 models this is called target display mode. just wasnt sure if thunderbolt connection supported it.

3. simsaladimbamba

It is still supported on 27" iMacs, regardless of MDP/TB. But you need a converter to ... ahem, convert the signal from the XBox to Thunderbolt.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find similar threads:
    [​IMG]

4. Acorn thread starter macrumors 68020

Acorn

5. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Not true (unless they've changed something in the last ~8 months I've owned my 2011 iMac). The 2011 27in iMac will only support video-in for target display mode from another Thunderbolt source.

I didn't believe it when people were saying it, so I tried it with my PS3 via a Thunderbolt/MDP-to-HDMI adapter and it didn't work =\

But a 2011 MBA/MBP/Mini should work just fine.

Can anyone attest to this?

6. simsaladimbamba

That is why I said "converter" and not "adapter". There were "DVI or HDMI to MDP" converters before, though I haven't found any "HDMI or DVI to TB" converters yet.

7. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Ah, okay. Fairly misleading to me as I tend to find 'adapter' and 'converter' synonymous (at least with video cables). I suppose there is a difference though, just didn't think that's what you meant. My mistake.

8. simsaladimbamba

Maybe this can help.

9. Acorn thread starter macrumors 68020

Acorn

this kinda surprises me because thunderbolt is suppose to be backwards compatible with display port. if you connect a mini displayport to dvi to a macbook pro thunderbolt and the dvi to a monitor it should work.

kinda sucks that for instance you cant have a pc and just change the target display mode on the mac.

10. JRS21015 macrumors newbie

How helpful is it to offer a solution involving a device not known to exist? :confused:

11. simsaladimbamba

I don't know. I should have said "Not possible then" just because I couldn't find such device? :confused:

12. JRS21015 macrumors newbie

How about this, if you do not have a viable solution to the problem at hand don't say anything at all. Suggesting a device that is not known to exist, just makes no sense.

Maybe you are just one of those guys/gals who feel the need to chime in regardless of their ability to help, or not. If this is the case then just say " I do not know if you can do this or not! "

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back to the issue at hand .....

Having just acquired a brand new 27" iMac I would be interested in knowing if the OP's issue has a real solution.

Thanks!

13. simsaladimbamba

Affirmative.