Can you use imovie HD transitions in imovie09?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jayeskreezy, Mar 9, 2009.

1. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

Ok so the transitions aren't as good in imovie09' as they were in imovieHD. Can you use the old effects from imovieHD in imovie 09'? If so, how?

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

No. iMovie HD was better than '08 but '09 completely kills it.

3. Mobile923 macrumors 6502

'09 kills HD?

Havent tried it yet, but if that's the case...

4. huntercr macrumors 65816

Well, it's apparently lacking of good transitions, since the original poster said as much in his post.

I would recommend that if you have iMovie HD already and there's a transition you're just dying for, export the clip(s) you want to add the transition to as DV files, load it into iMovie HD, apply the transition, export the new clip back out and then import into imovie 09. It might be a long process, but probably worth it.

5. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks...yeah...that's what I ended up doing. While imovie09 does have a few more advanced effects it's still not perfect. I used it extensively last night and the lack of a timeline is stupid. Also, there are less transitions and the titles have much less flexibility than imovieHD. You cant change the location (placement-like center of the screen is center of the screen...I can't move it to the right corner unless I use a diff title) of the title on the clip. That's terrible. Anyway, I also have Final Cut Express so i'm not terribly concerned. Between imovie09, hd, and FCE I have my video needs covered.

6. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

I haven't worked with '09 yet, but it sounds like my hope for better titles didn't happen. That was the only thing I really kept HD around for with '08 and it sounds like I'll probably have to continue that way with '09 as well.

I never downloaded the iMovie HD package for iMovie '08 users since my Mini came with iLife '06 originally, but now I have a new MacBook that has iLife '09 and Apple has removed the iMovie HD download link. I assume I could use Pacifist to just install iMovie HD onto my MacBook, but I'd like to not overwrite something that will require me to reinstall iLife '09. Does anyone know which packages are needed for iMovie HD? Or even better, is there an Internet archive of the download that Apple has removed and will it still work with iLife '09 as well?

Edit: it looks like selecting just the iMovie HD package (which contained 3 subpackages) was all that was needed.

7. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

After extensively examining both I'd say it's useful to have both on your computer. Even though imovie 09 lacks a timeline it was much quicker to drag and drop clips in their timeline. The moving red line is really annoying though as it doesn't stay anywhere so you have to always wonder where you stopped the playhead and try to find it again.

Neither imovie lets you reposition titles from their default location on the screen. I guess you have to use FCE for that. I'd honestly say that most likely I'd lay out a project with titles in imovie 09. If I needed to do image stabilization, green screen, or pic in pic i'd also do it in 09'. For audio editing especially and any other video effects than the ones listed above I'd export and re-open in imovie HD. Imovie HD had 48 effects. Even with the new effects imovie09 doesn't come close with only about half of those. That's disappointing.

8. bearcatrp macrumors 68000

I use plug ins from geethree for iMovie 6HD. Awesome stuff. iMovie 8 sucks, haven't used 9 yet but from what I have read, sucks just as bad. I'll stick with 6.