can you use leopard drop in dvd to instal leaopard

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by trubo23, Aug 27, 2008.

1. trubo23 macrumors newbie

i just bought a ibook g4 with no operatting system i was wondering if i could use the leopard drop in dvd to install leopard

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

No. It requires that you have a preinstalled version of OS X. It will reject the installation.

3. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

If you mean using a leopard DVD that came with a another system, no. It would violate the license and the Leopard DVDs that come with Intel Macs will not work on G4 systems, they don't really work across different product lines anymore.

Cheers,

4. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

He claims it is an upgrade DVD, but these were mostly provided in systems that had Tiger preloaded and they just dumped a Leopard DVD in the box. Whether such a DVD would work like the retail version is doubtful and really shouldn't be sold since it is really tied to the system it was dropped in.

Cheers,

5. trubo23 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thanks do you know where I can get leopard for cheap

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you're a student, your school might offer discounted Leopard.

Otherwise, you'll have to pay regular price like everyone else.

7. trubo23 thread starter macrumors newbie

whatif I bought the full installer kit that came from a macbook

8. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Just buy a retail copy of Leopard. And no Macbooks are intel as the iBooks are PPC and won't work. Besides they also have hardware checks on the discs as it checks the machine first before it will install so a Leopard DVD for a macbook will not work on a different platform ie your ibook.

9. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

Did some looking around and found drop-ins are OEM upgrade versions that can be used by Apple resellers to offer Leopard functionality on existing inventory.

They are supposed to work as a Universal upgrade. They are not supposed to be sold separately but many, many are available on ebay as you discovered. I would be very leery of buying one of these since you don't know for sure it will work and it really wasn't meant to be used in this manner. You may not even wish to buy it all since it is a little slower than Tiger for some operations on older equipment. It definately likes more memory.

Cheers,