Can you use screen sharing over the internet?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Passive101, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Passive101 macrumors regular

I have Leopard. Can I screen share with Tiger or Leopard users over the internet?

Also can I screen share to help them do something without the fear of them gaining control of my computer?

I was trying to talk someone through changing settings on their mac, and it was painfully slow. If I could have just seen their mac and did it, it would have taken a fraction of the time.

I have it enabled on my machine and did not set any users who can control mine.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If you're screen sharing them, they're not screen sharing you. They can't take over your computer.

And if you're worried about that, maybe you just shouldn't screen share with those people.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

As far as I know, Internet screen sharing IS possible, but it's a royal pain to set up, since you have to know the other user's IP address and tunnel your way through any NAT firewalls/routers.

Since the other computer won't show up in Shared, you'll have to connect to it manually using Go -> Connect to Server. Once connected, if the other user has screen sharing enabled, it should work just fine.

The built-in screen sharing support only works on Leopard. It is possible to screen share with Tiger users, but doing this requires third-party VNC programs.