Can you use someone elses upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by NovemberWhiskey, Jun 14, 2010.

1. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

I have a friend that qualifies for an upgrade, but doesn't plan on using it.

I was wondering if I can use his upgrade, but keep my line/number and get the new iphone4.

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Short answer: No.

Long:
    Your friend can buy the iPhone on his plan, but he'll have to get an iPhone plan. That friend can then give you the phone, swap SIMs, and then you would be up and running.

The only issue would be the plan your friend would have to get, it's an extra $30 data plan.

3. CJayC macrumors 6502

4. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

You can only if you are on his account, i am doing this with my dad to get to the new iphone, you just cant get unlimited data bc that plan expired last week, you will have to get the $15 or $25 dollar a month plan

5. essential macrumors regular

essential

i was told by an AT&T rep at my store that they aren't supposed too, but yes you can, but they have to be on the same account.

for example, if you have 4 lines on a family plan, and two of them are upgrade eligible, you can upgrade another line, and put the new two year contract on one of the eligible numbers. he didn't explain how he would do it, but he said that's what would happen. i almost did this to get a 3GS but stuck with my 3G, i was going to put the new 2 year agreement on my fathers number in our family plan.

6. Chipskip macrumors member

Everyone here is sort of right....

Yes you can.

They buy it and you switch SIM cards (I did this last year). The only issue is that the iPhone 4 uses the MICRO-SIM, so you will need to cut yours or go to an AT&T store to get a new one for you. Then your friend will have to visit an AT&T store to get a full size SIM card for your/their old phone.

I have talked to the apple store and AT&T store (last year) and they both said they didn't really care what happens to the phone after it is properly bought from them, it is your property. People buy phones on ebay all the time and they have to help set them up so whats the difference in buying from your buddy.

7. Evolesque macrumors member

Yes you absolutely can.

I got my 3GS from the AT&T Corp store in Pasadena CA (old town). I took my friend who qualified for a discount with me. The cs rang him up for the phone I paid for it, he bought my 3G off me, and the cs linked the appropriate imei's to the right accounts right then and there. There's nothing wrong with that.

8. smeg36 macrumors regular

I'm considering doing this same thing with one of my friends, but we were going to preorder through Apple tomorrow. How would it work to transfer the new phone to me if we get it in the mail instead of in store? Thanks.

Edit-Another thought I had; how does this effect the warranty if service is needed? Since you're not technically the original owner, does Apple still provide a warranty? Thanks again.