Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

knux11

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2008
Basically I'd like to use my icloud drive folder as my home folder for itunes. I figure this way i'd basically have a backup of my library. Is it possible?

Tech198

macrumors P6
Mar 21, 2011
Australia, Perth
kind of like saying "can i use my NAS for my itunes folder location" ?
Screen Shot 2015-10-31 at 3.10.27 pm.png

Yes..

Comment

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Basically I'd like to use my icloud drive folder as my home folder for itunes. I figure this way i'd basically have a backup of my library. Is it possible?
Keep in mind iCloud is NOT a backup service. You should see a local backup (of everything) using Time Machine, CCC or ...

Comment

knux11

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2008
or......?

If i needed to recover my music, why wouldn't i restore it via iCloud if i'm using it as my media folder?

also, what would happen if i have more files than i have icloud space? Since it is a folder on my laptop i wont run out of space there; can i pick what's included and what's not?

Last edited:
Comment

Tech198

macrumors P6
Mar 21, 2011
Australia, Perth
because if Apple has issues with their servers you'll be without your music... and there will be a time when that happens. no server can be fault free and always up 24/7, 365 days a year, however in the tech world, u rely on that too much.

Not sure what would happen but if it works like Dropbox, you'll file would still be accessible from the wel, u just won't be able to sync if u have a reduced plan...

Its may be a local folder but its like its a folder that sync's auutomatically to the cloud..

Comment

knux11

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 22, 2008
i also keep all my music on my phone, not to mention tm backups, so I wouldn't lose anything. I do like that thought of another backup somewhere tho. 50 gb for .99 a month makes it a no brainer. thanks for the info.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.