Can you use the iphone as a regular phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ltn, Feb 10, 2009.

1. ltn macrumors member

I just purchased an iphone off ebay for a great price. I was wondering if I can use it like a regular phone. I have text and everything I need already but I don't know if I want to pay for the media package at least not yet. I want to test out the iphone to see if I really like it and want to pay the outrageous amounts. Thanks.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Unlock it and use it with whatever cell plan you want.

Note that if you use a plan from AT&T that isn't an iPhone plan, they will find you on the network and add the iPhone data plan to your bill.

3. ltn thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I have at&t so no matter what they are going to make me pay for the data plan. If I have text already do I have to pay a different fee for iphone text? Thanks.

4. seand1111 macrumors regular

1st gen or 3G?

Well, really with both, the answer is yes, but with the 1st Gen you dont have to be sneaky about it, just call them (att) and have then remove the dataplan and add a wixblock to the line.

If its a 3G, you can do it to, but you have to use another phone to add the wixblock to the account (again by calling att), then swap your sim into the 3G.

5. ltn thread starter macrumors member

6. seand1111 macrumors regular

Keep your SIM in your current phone, call att and have them add a wixblock to your account. Once that is done, swap the SIM to your new 3G iphone.

Then have fun. be sure to download itunes on your computer and "go to town" with your new phone!

7. B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

whats is wixblock?

you still wont have data services after doing this? right?

8. PennCentralFan macrumors regular

PennCentralFan

The phone plans and text plans are the same for all at&t phones. The one extra thing for the iphone is the $30.00 data plan which is double the regular data plan. If you have an iphone you have to have the iphone data plan. So figure the iphone will cost you an additional $15.00 per month.

9. seand1111 macrumors regular

it blocks all data, so no, you will not have data services after that is added.