Can you use your Lockscreen background with SnowCover 4?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by FAII, Jul 4, 2011.

1. FAII macrumors newbie

I can't seem to get SnowCover to show my Lockscreen. If I simply remove SCBackground@2x.png or edit it so it's nothing but transluscent emptiness, SnowCover 4 will only use a 100% black background. The thing is that I want to use my Lockscreen for the background since I'm fond of Lockscreen hacks (custom clock, date, etc.).

Is this possible or was SnowCover 4 just not programmed that way? Is it possble on any of the previous versions? I am willing to downgrade if it doesn't lose me much functionality.

2. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

I'm pretty sure SnowCover 4 isn't compatible with Lockscreen widgets. It was one of the reasons I went with first MusicBarExtended and then ultimately with Music Controls Pro when MBEx proved too buggy for me to live with. (Damn, MBEx is so themeable though!)

3. FAII thread starter macrumors newbie

Can you theme Music Controls Pro (or EX) the way you can SnowCover?

4. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

MBEx is probably the most themable of the three, and some amazing mods have been made for it. IF it works well on your phone, it's also the better deal pricewise over MCP--but for me, it delayed resprings to an unbearable level and caused safe mode crashes any time I had to respring after a Cydia install. The dev is apparently completely uninterested in fixing the issue, which is a fairly common one, and he does not respond to email. For a lot of people, it's a must have because so many themes are out there for it; for me, it was a waste of $2 that made my phone more frustrating.

Music Controls Pro is the least themable of the batch and the most expensive--but it's the most versatile and useful. You CAN change the background of the status bar drop down by theming your normal folder background image and toggling "Old background" in settings (under Task Controls). I'm still working out how to theme other things, like the buttons, did manage to theme the "no album art" image (it doesn't use any default you set). No one has made a theme for it, period--I spent a lot of time looking--and the dev isn't helpful on that score, though he provides pretty good support in other areas from what I've seen. But it works with Pandora, Tune In Radio, and a bunch of others. It's rock solid reliable, doesn't cause issues with other things on my phone, and it's full of useful features. I really hesitated over it because of the price, but I used the free trial--now I use it daily and wouldn't be without it.

So really, it's a matter of priorities. If you're OK with potentially tossing out $2 and you really want to play with some fabulous theme options, go with MBEx. After all, it's only $2 if it doesn't work for you. But if you use Pandora, etc. a lot, try the free trial of MCP first.

5. FAII, Jul 4, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011

FAII thread starter macrumors newbie

Are the issues with MBEx that you describe widespread issues that come inherent with the script or is it model and/or firmware-dependent?

Does it allow one to theme it like SnowCover, i.e. change the size of the album art?

6. Missjenna macrumors 6502a

Missjenna

7. cdrwinston macrumors regular

I am so glad at you posted this. I had no idea why I was having the respiring go into safe mode! I really do love MBEX, but I am removing it now. It's a pain to have that happen after every respri in Cydia!

8. FAII thread starter macrumors newbie

Gah! So I have to choose between stability and themability? Great.