Can you walk in store and just buy?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by war eagle, Nov 30, 2011.

1. war eagle macrumors 6502a

My iPhone 4 is unrepairable, my SGS II LCD is busted and I have to get a new phone and I was pretty much selling myself on the 4s. Someone tell me, can I just walk in the store and buy one of these now? Or is AT&T still doing those order in store and have shipped to your house?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

This will of course vary by location, but last week I walk into our local AT&T store and was told that I would have to order it, but their shipments have been arriving with 1-2 days.

I haven't gone to Apple yet, so I don't know how their inventory is.

I live in Modesto, Ca

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Soke To Apple Yesterday

They have stock in the UK (despatch in 3 day's) not sure about the other side of the pond though, you guy's have a different system so the phones differ from carrier to carrier. In the UK we buy sim free and choose.

I had my 4S whilst a lot of friends in the States were still in the despatch line. Best to phone ahead and check.

4. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

I haven't seen the lines outside the Apple store like I did the first couple of weeks, when I was looking to get one. Line used to be 3 hours long all the way down the mall, and still had many supplies left around 3pm on the weekend. They've actually been very small now, if any. I think if you go early enough to an Apple store (if close by you, of course) you should almost be guaranteed to have a phone in at most an hour

San Diego, CA here.

5. lolwutalan macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm in Orange County, CA.

I haven't gone through the AT&T purchase because I didn't want to wait for shipping, so I went directly to the Apple Store.
    The Apple Stores in Sourthern California are all serving reservations first. It's due to the stores not knowing how much inventory they'll receive for the next day. Go online and reserve your iPhone via Apple ID at 9:00 PM on the dot. Come in the next morning and pick it up quick and easy.
    As far as I know, you can't walk in and pick one up unless you have a reservation, but don't take my word on it.
    Reserved a black 32 GB the first week, servers were timing out and ridiculous. I wanted to exchange my black for white and still had to make a reservation. I did this about a week ago, and even by 9:10 PM, they were sold out.
    Reserve yours as soon as you can!

6. war eagle thread starter macrumors 6502a

A couple Best buys around me have them in stock, the one I was at last night actually had them.

Here's my story, I used an upgrade at Best buy last month and returned the phone on the 2nd of October. I broke my phone this week and went in today to get the phone and I didn't have an upgrade because they never reversed the upgrade.

I called AT&T and they need best buy to reverse the upgrade, best buy says it's in AT&T hands. I just don't know what to do!

7. dionnfr macrumors member

If you are having problems finding them locally at Apple, Bestbuy or AT&T, try Radio Shack, I walked in two days ago and bought 2 32gig. Had plentyof stock, setup was just like going anywhere els.

8. mrmoonlite macrumors newbie

Just walked into one of my local AT&T stores (Albany, NY area) and they got an assorted shipment of 36 iphones last Wednesday, so I walked out with one last Friday night. I would suggest calling around. I didn't want to order and have it shipped, so I have been waiting and checking.

9. Gurn Blanston macrumors newbie

I was in the Southlake, TX store (near Fort Worth) last Saturday, and I saw customers discussing the 4S with salespeople and deciding on the spot to purchase the 4S, and the salesperson was able to get one from stock immediately. I asked a rep if they had sufficient stock for walk ins, and he said that supply is much better, but it's still "iffy" if you're set on a particular model. On Saturday, for example, they didn't have any black 32gb models for walk in customers.

Reserving the night before at 9:00 pm is your best bet.

10. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

This would be a dumb question to ask here. Only way to know is if you go to the stores around you and see for yourself.

11. joeshmo2010 macrumors 6502a

all AT&T stores now have a 1-2 day turn around for 16gb/32gb black and white, and a 3-5 day turnaround for 64gb models.

12. dsquared81 macrumors 6502

This exact thing happened to me for the Verizon ip4 launch at BB. Got the run around for a couple of month's, despite having receipts to show my purchase AND subsequent return within a 2 days. Each side said it was on the other's hands. Completely frustrating.

Eventually the situation was resolved after 2 or 3 month's (which worried the hell out of me because I was being billed with an unreturned equipment fee). Love how they can easily terminate my service but then quickly charge me an ETF of 350 or whatever it was for not returning the phone, despite having receipts!

Luckily a girl that helped me at BB had her Verizon rep handle my situation personally internally. Don't really know the ins and outs of it all but the fee was eventually removed and nothing hit my credit.

Because of this situation (and other terrible BB experiences that I've had the last few years) I will not purchase another Iphone there. I try not to purchase from them at all as well. Certain BB Black Friday deals have got me to come back for gifts though lol.

----------

This is what I did at Target Mobile (which is a subset of Radioshack). Walked in, placed an order for a 64 white ATT and got it overnighted to me. Easiest purchase ever!

I was unsuccessful with trying to reserve one at an Apple store (not necessarily the act of reserving one but actually going in to pick it up) due to changes in my schedule from day to day.

13. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Another glass (this time 4s) is a good choice if your 4 is unrepairable and you smashed the SGS2 screen.

14. hamlin macrumors regular

I am black. Am I allowed to buy the white iphone?

15. Xgm541 macrumors 6502a

Keep in mind if you are trying to buy for full no contract price, apple is your best bet. I tried doing that with radio shack and they told me its something like $850 for 16gb model because they need to make profit off it.

16. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Not in the South.

17. Gurn Blanston macrumors newbie

Yes, but you have to put a black case on it that covers up all of the white bits. :D

18. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Only with one of these cases:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or anything with an 8-ball.

19. war eagle thread starter macrumors 6502a

Walked in an AT&T store today and they had them but my upgrade wasn't reversed. Went back to best buy and asked for a manager this time and he came down on the rep because the rep knew he could just call AT&T and have it reversed instantly rather than that 3 day ********.

So that's what he did and the entire time he was on hold with AT&T (35-40 mins) I was sitting right across from him and he had to feel like a dick. Got it reversed went back to AT&T and the guy said I got the last one unless I wanted a 64 gb black.

Oh and best buy gave me a 25 dollar gift card and a free monster while I waited.

Btw... I didn't smash either phone. The iPhone had a problem with the battery connector soldering points and the GS2 fell off the night stand. Glass is fine, LCD Just took a bruising. Spare me the sarcasm.

20. IndianGuy, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2011

IndianGuy macrumors regular

IndianGuy

I bought white 4s (16gb) last Sunday in store - key is to call them and check if they have. Also depends on location, bigger stores get more stock so check often - 4s availability is not at all bad - you can reserve one at 9pm and pick it up next day.