Can you watch videos while locked?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by dmelgar, Sep 23, 2007.

1. dmelgar macrumors 68000

I'd like to get one and let my 4yr old use it to watch movies while on long drives. But I'd like to lock it so that he can't accidentally stop the movie and end up somewhere else. Can you lock it while watching a movie? The manual says you can listen to music while locked, but doesn't say anything about video.

2. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

No if you lock it the video stops playing.

3. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Giving $400 light weight iPod with glass screen to 4 year old.

hmm....

You are asking for it. :p

4. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

to lock it you push the little button on top, the sleep button...itll still play music but shuts the screen off, making video watching useless without the screen, and yes it stops it too

5. BiikeMike macrumors 65816

BiikeMike

MAN, ARE YOU INSANE?!

6. ivi7 macrumors 6502a

ivi7

I would suggest an ipod Nano for the 4 year old :)

7. robPOD macrumors 6502

I would suggest a cheap portable dvd player from Wal-Mart for a 4 year-old.

8. billabong macrumors 6502

9. dmelgar thread starter macrumors 68000

Ok, I've already bought an ipod Nano. I worry a little about my 4yr old staring at the screen too close for hours on end, but it maybe big enough to stick on the seatback. He likes sitting really close to our 42" HDTV, so I can imagine how close he'd hold a nano given the chance.

I'm within the 14day chance to return so I sometimes debate between the nano and a touch. $150 vs $300, I wouldn't get the 16 gig.
    We already have a dirt cheap DVD player ($120) but its harder to copy videos onto it because I have to burn a DVD. We never use the DVD player.

I like the idea of using a video capable ipod, just gives more uses for the ipod. The big advantage for me of the touch, besides the much larger screen is for web surfing. Its a lots smaller than my Macbook.

Oh, and BTW, my office-mate lets his 3 yr old use his brand new iPod video ($250) in the car for the same purpose. I think thats even riskier given the hard drive in it.

10. jmpage2 macrumors 68030

jmpage2

Not to be too much of a smart ass, but I can't imagine that a little kid squinting at a tiny 2" screen from several feet away can be too good for their eyes.

It can't possibly be any tougher to burn a DVD than it is to rip one for an iPod or pay to download it from iTunes.