Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is it a good idea to wax your Macbook Pro?

• Total voters

Karnifax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2007
My 15" Macbook pro is great, but I am a extremely picky person and clean it quite frequently as I do my truck. I was wanting to know if you can put an automotive wax/quick-wax on a Macbook Pro. It seems that the finish on them is a Powder Coat that does not have a polyurethane on it (why its not super shiny) I have some Turtle Wax Ice Liquid wax, or Black Magic liquid spray wax that I could spray onto a rag, apply, and buff off...would this potentially hurt the finish? I really do not want to do something to hurt this beautiful machine, I just think that wax may just improve the finish and protect it like it does my truck.

Erendiox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Brooklyn NY
That actually comes across as a really cool idea. I know nothing about waxing, so I can't comment on whether or not it would be safe, but if it is, you ought to post pics when you're done. :)

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
I always thought wax was for more polished surfaces than that of a MacBook. But I'm no chemist, so I don't know if there are any potential issues... I'd be worried about the speaker grilles on the top-case. Actually, waxing the top case at all with the keyboard, trackpad, trackpad button, and power button there would probably be exciting, to say the least. Were you thinking just the outside, or the inside too?

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
the ruins of the Cherokee nation
Well, handling the MBP would be one thing, but any wax residue could make using the keyboard and trackpad difficult. Not to mention the "wax dandruff" you sometimes get when buffing could get inside the case.

Karnifax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2007
Well, handling the MBP would be one thing, but any wax residue could make using the keyboard and trackpad difficult. Not to mention the "wax dandruff" you sometimes get when buffing could get inside the case.

Yes this is true, and its the same on cars as well. However, the issue is no longer an "issue" because these particular waxes leave no residue and are clear when they go on, and clear when they dry, thats why I love them. I was not planning on waxing the keyboard or the trackpad.

killmoms said:
I always thought wax was for more polished surfaces than that of a MacBook. But I'm no chemist, so I don't know if there are any potential issues... I'd be worried about the speaker grilles on the top-case. Actually, waxing the top case at all with the keyboard, trackpad, trackpad button, and power button there would probably be exciting, to say the least. Were you thinking just the outside, or the inside too?

I was planning on waxing the entire outside and areas on the inside like the screen border and palm rests. I was planning on, if I decide to, wax the speaker grill very carefully with a tiny bit of wax. Remember this is a liquid wax and when applied to the rag instead of the surface will distribute without dripping. There is also a protective film underneath the speaker slots to prevent dust and such from getting inside the case. I do not plan on applying wax to the keys (as they are plastic) or the trackpad because it specifically says in the manual to be very careful when even cleaning the trackpad (to use only a light amount of water).

Karnifax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2007
killmoms said:
I always thought wax was for more polished surfaces than that of a MacBook
The macbook is a polished surface, that's why it is shiny. The macbook is painted with a polyurethane coat on it. Wax would be great on such a surface. My question was for the Macbook Pro's powder-coat surface.

killmoms said:
And all the ports on the side... yeah, I'd say it's probably not a good idea on something like a computer.

I would never risk waxing ports or around the ports to clarify. Only open areas and palm rests. top and Bottom would definitely be candidates.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
The macbook is a polished surface, that's why it is shiny. The macbook is painted with a polyurethane coat on it. Wax would be great on such a surface. My question was for the Macbook Pro's powder-coat surface.

Since you're going to be (presumably) handling the MBP a lot, won't it smear the wax? (I don't know anything about the specific wax you're using).

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Yes this is true, and its the same on cars as well. However, the issue is no longer an "issue" because these particular waxes leave no residue and are clear when they go on, and clear when they dry, thats why I love them. I was not planning on waxing the keyboard or the trackpad.
Guess I am oldschool and still use carnauba wax. And I know you weren't planning on waxing the keyboard/trackpad, but you will by default; wax gets on your hands, your hands touch the keyboard/trackpad, computer gets warm and bam, you have wax in places wax shouldn't be.

I just don't see a reason to do this. You negate some surface scratches possibly at the cost of your MBP.

Karnifax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2007
Guess I am oldschool and still use carnauba wax. And I know you weren't planning on waxing the keyboard/trackpad, but you will by default; wax gets on your hands, your hands touch the keyboard/trackpad, computer gets warm and bam, you have wax in places wax shouldn't be.

I just don't see a reason to do this. You negate some surface scratches possibly at the cost of your MBP.

Carnauba wax is still probably the best protection you can use for your car, but it is a long process, and I use "quick wax" on my truck after every wash to keep the finish nice, and about every 6 months I do a full hazing wax. This is a synthetic wax and I would never worry about it getting hot and "melting" and in turn me putting it on other places it shouldn't be. I live in Texas and I know that the metal on my car easily reaches temperatures equal and hotter than the Macbook pro does.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
Maybe you should get an iPod shuffle and try it on their first. Same finish, way cheaper if you mess it all up. :)

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Ok, I'll clarify my thoughts:

Can you wax a MBP? Yes

Should you wax a MBP? No

No offense, but it seems like you have already made up your mind about the matter and you are just looking for someone to agree with you. Good luck either way.

Karnifax

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 14, 2007
Ok, I'll clarify my thoughts:

Can you wax a MBP? Yes

Should you wax a MBP? No

No offense, but it seems like you have already made up your mind about the matter and you are just looking for someone to agree with you. Good luck either way.

Oh non taken at all, I know that all of us just want what is best for our apple products. I do agree that I am looking for someone who has done it and can tell me what the results were...but I am in no rush to wax it for the reason you stated...I don't want some 10 dollar wax to cost me a macbook pro.

erickkoch

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2003
Kalifornia
Interesting idea. Post pics if you get it done.

I would try just waxing the underside of the computer so see how it comes out, or just the metal on the battery, if it looks good then you're good to go wax the whole thing.

abcfob

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2007
As long as you take care not to get wax into the vents, or ports, It probably wont hurt it.

Now, if you like to hold your mbp in one hand under your arm, and the thing just flys out of your hand, because its too slick, then don't come complaining. At least not without pics :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.