Can your MacBook afford to use Boot Camp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by -BigMac-, Jul 2, 2014.

1. -BigMac- macrumors 6502a

-BigMac-

Hi Guys.

I'm running the newest rMB15" with the 500GB SSD.

With all my movies, tv shows and songs alone, 200GB is gone, easily. And thats with storing most of my movies on externals.

Considering that, how many of you Macbook Pro users are running Bootcamp on your machine?

How is the harddrive space coping with the 2 partitions?

Thank you

2. Jacksonc macrumors 6502

Jacksonc

I'm not using a MacBook Pro, but I have Windows 7 installed on a Parallels Desktop VM, and I still have a lot of space left over on my 500GB HD.

3. simsaladimbamba

Doesn't that depend on what you want to use Windows and Mac OS X for and what storage requirements those needs pertain? Videos, photos and music can always be offloaded to an external USB 3.0 drive, even a mobile one, to prevent the Mac from clogging with "useless" data.

If you need Windows for gaming, give it 50 to 100 GB in Boot Camp Assistant depending on the number and size of games you want to install.

When I ran Windows via Boot Camp I only used 50 or so GB back then, but since I have a dedicated desktop computer I have a 3 TB HDD just for Windows and boot every month or three. Probably getting rid of it in the next month or so.

4. -BigMac- thread starter macrumors 6502a

-BigMac-

you made some very good points, i too have a dedicated gaming pc, but i cant take that with me overseas as i travel in the coming weeks, nor can i bring my externals.. well i can, but it wouldn't be practical.

Let me change my question, do you think it is possible for YOU to run a Mac OS system with whatever files you want and need on a monthly basis, and run windows in bootcamp, without the need for an external harddrive?

5. simsaladimbamba

Not with a 500 GB SSD. But as mentioned before, there are 1 TB or 2 TB HDDs using the 2.5" form factor and the USB 3.0 interface, which allow you to take that small HDD, it fits in a pocket of your trousers, with you without any additional power adapter.
    And if only for backup purposes, like a clone of Mac OS X, in case something gets kaputt.

For example:

Your Mac has a 500 GB SSD, you partition it to 400 GB Mac OS X, 100 GB Windows.
    You get a 2 TB 2.5" HDD from Western Digital, something from the Passport series and partition that drive into two partitions, one 500 GB partition for the clone of Mac OS X, done via CarbonCopyCloner (version 3.4.7 is still free and available for download here and works with Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard, Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion) or SuperDuper!, and have the 1.5 TB partition hold your videos and music and so on.

6. Jacksonc macrumors 6502

Jacksonc

Depending on what you want to do and the specs of your MBP, it might be a good idea to get Parallels Desktop.

7. Yoshi Yogurt macrumors regular

The plan for me when I get my windows 7 key is: 300GB for windows side to hold games. 200GB for Mac to hold music.

I don't keep movies or TV shows digitally.

8. nando87 macrumors 6502a

Who needs to store music movies and all that stuff nowadays? I have all of them by streaming. 2 128 gb partitions and 80gb free in each

9. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I have 1TB on my rMBP... I spared 250GB for Bootcamp and the rest for OSX. Sometimes you just need the space...

Some stuff I cannot find via streaming or they're not available at all.

10. nando87 macrumors 6502a

Well I suppose my taste is not as refined :D

11. Charadis macrumors 6502a

I have Windows 8.1 Pro on my 128GB 13" rMBP, my main (and only) computer. I have it partitioned as follows: 83GB on Macintosh HD, 37GB Bootcamp. Big adjustment coming down from a 320GB MBP, but so far it is working out alright. :D Sent from my MacBook Pro.

12. leman macrumors 604

I have a 256GB SSD, and I can easily accommodate a bootcamp partition, a bunch of virtual machines and several multi-GB databases.

13. happyfrappy macrumors 6502

That is one reason I never bought a rMBP, 500GB SSD is a costly CTO option if you dual boot or need Parallels for work reasons--my WD Scorpio Black 750GB is 65% full(much of it is due to Logic X & Ableton virtual instruments & plug-ins then my iTunes library) with a scratch partition. I mostly do design & audio work on my Mac, with a Retina MBP I'd need a SDHC+external HDD to get the job done--unless a company releases a battery pack Thunderbolt dock or Apple offers dual PCIe SSDs, rMBP is limiting if you need a dedicated "scratch disk" vs racking up SSD wear on your boot drive. I'm not completely sold on flush SDHC solutions for cMBP/rMBP, tried one for some recording demos and it died >8 months--I usually record 4-8 tracks per day, if I manage to kill a SDHC that quickly a rMBP SSD would be toast in 14-18 months :eek:

With that said, if I *had* to move onto a rMBP may it be for insurance claim or need more CPU power, I may have to lug a spare Windohs PC than dual-boot/Parallels a rMBP. I never had the urge to Boot Camp, however I do use Parallels to run Quicken Deluxe, MS Access & OneNote (before OneNote became free)

14. simsaladimbamba

While both the internal storage and the SDHC card use flash as technology, do not confuse its capabilities. The SDHC card uses cheap flash, the MacBook Pro with Retina Display uses more expensive flash modules in order to give you better sequential and random access times and a longer life.

And as for mobile HDDs or SSDs, USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt can power 2.5" HDDs and SSDs without the need of an additional power adapter. Or do you mean something else?

15. happyfrappy macrumors 6502

If Apple gave more USB ports or offered a Thunderbolt to USB 3.0 adapter(Thunderbolt to USB 3.0 adapters aimed at PCs don't work on a Mac, I've tested a few) I wouldn't be port challenged or port power challenged.

Several plug-ins require a silly Pro Tools-style "license USB 2.0 dongle" which would drop a USB 3.0 hub down to 2.0 speeds so you're best to leave it on the same port hub as your MIDI keyboard/control surfaces, FocusRite Scarlett audio interface for mobile recording when I can't/won't want to deal with FW800 adapter on the other port.
    Keep in mind you never want to run a USB HDD on the same port as an audio interface or you'll suffer audio clipping/skipping hell.

Seagate stopped making Thunderbolt 2.5" HDDs and the adapter sled for Mobile GoFlex/Backup Plus as they decided to use "fixed USB 3.0" enclosures now... not really looking forward to stockpiling FW800 2.5 HDD enclosures. There must be a battery backup powered 3.5" Thunderbolt solution out there? :confused:

16. simsaladimbamba

LaCie, while expensive, also offers TB solutions in the 2.5" form factor, as does Buffalo and Elgato and OWC.

And the drop down to USB 2.0 speeds on a USB 3.0 hub when a USB 2.0 device is connected does not happen with proper hubs.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use OneDrive in my windows partition, this is great since it stays in the cloud and doesn't consume space like it does in OS X.

For OS X, I use my Drobo Mini to old my data.

Both allow me to have lots of free space on both my windows and OSX Partitions.

18. happyfrappy macrumors 6502

It could be I hit the power wall via bus powered 3.0 hub(USB license dongle uses flash drive-type power usage if I remember, portable midi keyboard is 250mA and midi adapter pulls 250mA).
    I've also had that happen on a wall outlet powered hub(Pluggable Tech) the only way around it was plug a USB 2.0 hub into that port to avoid it. On several audio forums it seems to be some devices can do weird stuff on the USB 3.0 port/hub, earlier Avid/M-Audio audio/midi interfaces glitch if you directly plug to a USB 3.0 port/hub.

Besides LaCie being expensive, Buffalo TB models are rarely restocked at Microcenter/Frys and a few other dealers--starting to wonder if FW800 may see a surge in usage now that OWC has FW800+USB 3 portable enclosures. Starting to wish Apple didn't bother with the HDMI port on the rMBP and had a 3rd USB port... maybe 2015/2016 they'll wake up ;)

19. simsaladimbamba

Yeah, they could have added two additional USB 3.0 ports, one on each side and it would still be not enough for some. I mean, the space is there, why not use it? I guess they want TB to thrive or have some kind of secret contract with USB hub manufacturers. Who knows.

20. Freyqq macrumors 68040

I have the same computer. I split the drive 50-50 for the partitions, and it has worked well. I have an external portable USB 3 drive for media and limit the SSD to things that benefit most from the fast SSD speed, like applications. I have a lot of extra space actually lol.