Canada: 3G Slow? Data Usage Reports

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ipedro, Jul 22, 2008.

1. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

Hey everybody, I was one of those concerned with the very small amount of data that Rogers was offering initially (400mb) and jumped at the opportunity of getting an iPhone when they offered the limited time 6GB for $30.

Now, after checking my usage, so far this month I've barely just cracked the 100MB mark, 10 days into having the iPhone. At this rate, I won't need more than 400MB after all.

I think this is for a couple of reasons. When I'm at home, my iPhone connects to my local WiFi network which is where I do the bulk of my browsing, app downloading, etc.

When I'm out, I'm finding that 3G is absolutely slow as hell. The Last.fm app takes a good 2 minutes to buffer a song, making it pretty much useless.

What happened to the promise of high speeds with 3G? Is Rogers throttling 3G or is it that everybody's connecting all at once?

I'm in downtown Toronto and 3G coverage is pretty much ubiquitous but at this speed, it's not useful for anything other than email.

Comments? Speed experience? Usage reports?

2. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

I did a speedtest @ www.testmyiphone.com and I got 1.5mbps on 3G....Not bad. Then again, it's 1am. It seems a lot faster at night.

I tried on EDGE and got 149kbs. WiFi 7.8mbps :D