[canada] buy macbook in the US?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maximus06, Nov 5, 2007.

1. maximus06 macrumors regular

Hi, I've been pondering this for a while now, but since there is a huge saving by buying the macbook in the US (even with my canadian student discount!) with the us dollar so low...

My question is, does the 1-year warranty still apply in Canada? For example, I take it into canada and something breaks, would I have to go back into the US to turn it in/get it fixed...or can I do that in canada, too?

Thanks a lot!

2. Surely Guest

Surely

I don't think that there are any warranty issues if you buy it here or there. I believe that they ship 'broken' Apple products to California to be fixed anyway.
    If you order a product from Apple.ca (or 1-800-My-Apple), they ship it from the US, it doesn't originate in Canada.

I was offered a $60 discount on any MacBook if I buy from 1-800-My-Apple. I politely complained about the Canadian pricing, and he offered it to me (I was very surprised). Even with that discount, it's still cheaper to drive to the US and buy there.

The guy I spoke with at the Apple Store in the US told me that almost 90% of their business lately have been from Canadians.

3. maximus06 thread starter macrumors regular

Wow that is amazing. But yeah $60 still doesn't make up for the difference...

4. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    oh my god....go to the U.S..

I will be buying everything in the U.S from now on....paper towles, Macs, Ipods, groceries...lol
    run for the border eh
    ;)

5. maximus06 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm from Vancouver too. Yes but you have to remember that you gotta get it across the border...duty free.

6. Surely Guest

Surely

Even with duty charges it is still cheaper to buy it in the US.

By my calculations, the 2.2 Ghz White MacBook would cost around $1490 CAD with NY sales tax, GST, and duty (I assume that duty is around 8%. If duty is as high as 15%, that would bring the price to around even with Canada). In Canada, it would cost $1652 CAD ($1449 plus PST & GST)!
    Now, if you went all James Bond, and hid your new MacBook in some secret compartment to avoid duties (don't F with the government), it would only cost around $1320 CAD ($1299 + NY sales Tax)

There is only one word that can be used to describe that: RETARDED*

*my apologies if I have offended anyone with my political incorrectness.