Canada: cheap 2GB RAM for pre-unibody laptops?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by scienide09, Feb 13, 2009.

1. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

Futureshop is selling Crucial 2GB RAM sticks (part no.CT25664AC667) for $29.99. Cheapest price I've seen in Canadian stores.

Perhaps someone can confirm that this is the same RAM used by pre-unibody MacBooks, MacBook Pros, and also the iMacs that came out before April 2008.

Link

Edit: I should add that I saw these first in an online flyer, and this deal is only good until next Thursday.

2. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

Why would you want a single 2GB chip? But yes it is the correct RAM.

Either way, Newegg.ca has cheaper items. I included both 2X1 and 2X2 for you. It is sorted by price so go to page 2 in order to get to the 2X2 sets. It doesn't seem like Newegg.ca does as much free shipping than the us store.

Don't forget ebates for 2% cash back. I'm not entirely sure if it works for the Canadian site, but what you can do is use the link to Newegg with ebates then click shop by region: Canada in the bottom right of the page.

3. scienide09 thread starter macrumors 65816

scienide09

My older MBP can address up to 3.3GB of RAM. If I replace the stock 2X1GB sticks with either 1X2GB and 1X1GB, or else 2X2GB, there's a difference.

Thanks for the links. And, you're right on that last point which is why this deal looks alright. The exact same Crucial RAM from Newegg.ca comes with a hefty $13+ standard shipping charge. Why order from them when I could walk into the Futureshop, spend $10 less, and have it right away? Again thanks to shipping, buying two sticks like this is cheaper than the Crucial 2X2GB kit.

4. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

True. Yes you can use 2X2 in there up to 3.3. Get whatever is cheapest for you.