Canada iPhone 3Gs thread

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by steve31, Jun 9, 2009.

1. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

Are you getting one? If so are you going early? Is Rogers going to let those of us that have a iPhone 3g upgrade to the 3gs? I have herd that Rogers wont let anyone upgrade until 24 months but that there might be a "no contract" price.

2. CalmEnvy macrumors 6502

I'll be getting mine sometime in August, have to get out of my contract with Bell which will be $180 then. I'm pretty sure that Rogers will not allow you to upgrade unless your 24 months into your contract since they've changed a few things.

3. macdim macrumors 6502

I won't.

There isn't much in the 3G|S| that I want that 3.0 doesn't provide except for video and the better camera. I don't think the speed increase is going to do me any good with the way I use my phone. I can deal with a few app crashes if it saves me >$600 (on contract already).

If you haven't tried 3.0, do so before you make your decision. Of course if the 3GS will be your first iPhone, go for it.

Also, I hate Rogers. ( Or maybe I'm just really protective of my hard-earned cash :D )

4. akutad macrumors regular

akutad

What is the early upgrade cost being only an year into a three year contract? How bad is the raping?

5. drakeshipway macrumors 6502

drakeshipway

They will have a no-term price from people that want to upgrade from the iPhone 3G, but are not eligible for a free upgrade.

This is what they said on Twitter:

keithmcarthur - We haven't announced no-term pricing yet. That will come on June 19 or closer to that date. - 6:12 PM Jun 9th from TweetDeck

I really hope they announce the pricing sooner than June 19th, so we can make up our bloody minds!
    Edit - I really hope that the 3G S will be: 16GB $399 / 32GB $499 for current 3G owners! Any more expensive, and I dunno..

6. cere macrumors 6502

The hardware improvements in the 3Gs look very impressive, but are not enough for me to want to pay what is sure to be a fairly expensive early upgrade price or non-contract price.

As has been said, the really compelling improvements are in the OS, so my 3G will benefit from that. But, the more I read about the chipset upgrades, the 3Gs does seem nice.

7. Jimmy James macrumors 68030

The hardware improvements are impressive.

3G Upgrade

I found that the move to the 3G phone was mostly incremental (the GPS was significant). I don't use 3G and don't really care that much about looks.

3G S Upgrade

The better camera is very meaningful to those of use that enjoy pictures and don't want to carry a separate device around. The original camera didn't really cut it.

The increased processor speed is perhaps the most useful item. I'm looking forward to quicker navigation, but also playing higher bitrate videos.

Memory; 16 GB didn't cut it yet. Doubling it makes all the difference for me.

The new phone is exactly what I've been waiting for. I find it ridiculous that many people are saying the new phone isn't much of an upgrade. I guess they constitute the ignorant masses.

8. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

I think i'm going to pass on the 3GS... the improvements are nice... but not a big enough difference to matter for me.... sure I'd like the newest and latest.. but there's not a significant difference between the 3GS and 3G... all it really is, is a 3G.2.. I will wait for the next major overhaul before I upgrade..

9. steve31 thread starter macrumors 6502a

steve31

I don't think that there will be much of a line up for the phone this time around. I will be getting one but that's only because my wife wants one otherwise I would pass.