Canada iPhone 6 outright or upgrade

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stuffradio, Jul 30, 2014.

1. stuffradio macrumors 65816

I'm trying to decide what is the best financial option. I'm with Fido, and I have a 6GB data plan. I wonder what other Canadians are doing. I know in some provinces there is great competition between carriers, but in BC, not so much. Most of the carriers have the same prices, and I don't want to lose my 6GB data plan.

2. Woodcrest64 macrumors 65816

Woodcrest64

I'd buy it outright from Apple. It will be unlocked from the get go. Then sell it next year just before the iPhone 6(S) which will only end up costing you a few hundred bucks which you would normally pay on contract. ;)

3. jdblas69 macrumors regular

Having an unlocked phone also can give you some bargaining power with your carrier as you have the flexibility to move to another carrier easily because you are not stuck in their contract. Your right most of the pricing is similar but if you demand to fido to keep your 6gb plan or you are going elsewhere chances are they will give it to you.

4. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

I upgraded with Fido in December and didn't lose my 6Gb. Was actually able to move from a $65 to $60 plan. Though there have been rumors that Rogers/Fido don't plan on continuing these plans anymore.

I would call Fido close to the launch to find out if you can keep your plan and upgrade. Otherwise, if you're out of contract and buy outright, you will get a 10% discount on your bill and may also be able to negotiate a cheaper plan ($60 was as low as I could go getting an iPhone upgrade). Also take a look at the giant Fido thread on Redflagdeals to see what kinds of plans people get around launch time.

5. Narien macrumors member

I'm just amazed at the prices for all you americans. For 65,29 (american) dollars I would get unlinmited calls/texts as well as 20 GB of data at 4g speed (actually as a student it would only cost me 58,16).

Or does the 60$ plan contain payment for phone as well?

6. stuffradio thread starter macrumors 65816

My contract ends September 17. A nice 4 year contract finally coming to an end with my iPhone 4. :) I do not want to buy a new iPhone every year, so my purchasing one outright would simply be to save money if I can do that. I would only buy outright if I would save money and if I can use my $140 Fido dollars at Apple to buy it outright.

7. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

It's calls, unlimited text, voicemail/caller id and 6Gb data at LTE speeds for $60CAD. For the phone I paid something like $105 at the start of my contract.

You can use the Fido dollars to buy the phone at full cost from Fido, but it will be locked to Fido - I don't think Apple accepts Fido dollars outside of an upgrade.

8. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

buy 2 unlocked iphones from Apple, sell one on ebay and keep the other one. If you can't sell it, no proble, just send it back to apple

9. stuffradio thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm not that rich.

----------

I've heard of Apple stores allowing it sometimes. Maybe it just depends on the store employee.

10. Narien macrumors member

11. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

12. Narien macrumors member