Canada iPhones to be UNLOCKED!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by abz786, Nov 2, 2009.

1. abz786 macrumors 6502

Courtesy of iphoneincanada.ca

What do you guys think of the above information? that would be sweet if we could get our hands on an unlocked device!!

2. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Ya... get your hands on an unlocked device for the full no-contract price of $699/$799 (or whatever it is here in Canada)...

It probably won't know what to do with an AT&T sim card anyways.

3. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

Or, you know, you could just unlock the phone yourself.

4. abz786 thread starter macrumors 6502

if you were to think about, most of these unlocks are only software unlocks/baseband unlocks. the factory unlocked ones you can update at NO risk, where as these other ones, you have to be careful before each update...

5. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Ok but did you even read the article?

The phone will LOCK to the carrier once you put your sim card in...

Apple isn't stupid... c'mon. I'm going to assume that the phone will just be temporarily unlocked to either Rogers, Bell, Fido or Telus, and then once the sim card is inserted it gets locked just like any other phone.

They're doing this so it's easier on their inventory. I'm going to assume replacement phones are going to be the same way.

6. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

Yeah, I don't know if this is as good as it seems. Using Pwnage to upgrade is no hassle at all.

And this makes it seem as someone has already said, 'temporary'.

In the sense of the word unlocked, these phones are unlocked. But in the sense of usability and such, I do not believe they are. Once you start to use the device as it is intended (phone, e-mail, browser) the phone is locked.

7. profets macrumors 68040

there is still several unknowns:

-when does the phone lock to the carrier? just by putting in the sim card? or by initial activation with itunes?

-is apple tracking the phones sent to rogers/fido/bell/telus at all which they could use itunes to force activation/locking to one of the canadian carriers only?

8. FXT 1 macrumors 6502

Another unknown:

-What will happen if a foreign SIM is inserted into the phone, assuming one can get their hands on a Canadian iPhone. Will it lock to the respective network? Or only to Canadian networks, when a Canadian SIM is inserted.

9. profets macrumors 68040

thats what i was thinking about with the 2nd point. i really wonder if apple will put effort into tracking which phones are shipped to which carriers or countries, and enforce itunes to only allow those phones to activate with certain sim cards...

this week when bell/telus start selling iphones we could find out, but it will be quite a lot of $$$ just to try different methods of activating/locking iphones

10. FXT 1 macrumors 6502

Of course, just skimmed over your post before, sorry! :D
    Good points though, the Pound to Canadian Dollar exchange rate is good atm. ;)

11. Acronym macrumors 68000

hopefully the dev team will get a good look at these phones and get the latest and greatest unlocks up and running :p