Canada - Locked phone in for repair

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by MistaBungle, Jun 14, 2011.

1. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

Hey guys, a question that I'm not sure about.

My home button works maybe 75% of the time and I want it to be looked at, possibly exchanged, before my 1 yr of AppleCare is up in August. If it needs to be exchanged, will they give me back a locked phone or will it be unlocked? Currently I'm tied to Bell but had to purchase the device outright since it was the only way with to stay on my corporate plan.

I think the device would come back unlocked since I doubt Apple retail has stock of locked phones because it wouldn't make sense to carry them. But I could be wrong.

Thoughts?

2. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

3. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

There is no such thing as a locked or unlocked iPhone.

All iPhones have the capability to be unlocked or locked when the device is activated in iTunes.

If you take in a locked iPhone, you will almost certainly get a locked device back. The only time that you wont is if a member of staff makes a mistake.

4. profets macrumors 68040

^^What these guys said.

If you had to buy it outright why didn't you buy an unlocked one from Apple? Unless it was over a year ago that you bought it?

5. MistaBungle thread starter macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

Thanks guys!

Yeah, it was close to a year, it was in August, when the i4 was very hard to find so I caved and bought it. But to keep my current plan I could only buy it outright, if I signed a contract I would've had to get a more expensive plan. And 3 years of the expensive plan > outright device.

6. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

If you bought it outright, why didn't you get one from Apple? Same price and it would have been unlocked = higher resale.

Regardless, if you take your locked phone in for repair you will receive it locked. No matter what.

7. profets macrumors 68040

I'm thinking he bought it outright from Bell as it was near impossible to find one from Apple during August.