Canada to US texting without Internationnal

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Drummer611, Dec 28, 2011.

1. Drummer611 macrumors newbie

Hey there people! I live in Canada and I am searching for an App that would allow me to text my friends that lives in US. My plan allows me international texting but my friend's plans doesn't. They are using a normal phones, not Intelligent phones or iPhones, etc. I just want to send them messages(even if it uses my DataPlan(I have 1 GB/month) or my SMS(I have unlimited). I am using an iPhone 4S under iOS 5.0.1. Can you guys help me out? Thanks in advance!

Best regards, Drummer.

2. Senex macrumors member

I'm not sure if Google will allow it since you're outside the US, but one solution could be to sign up for a Google Voice number based in the US. If you were able to do so, your friend could text that number and it would be passed along to you.

I use Google Voice as a secondary number for work purposes, having calls and texts forwarded to my personal number, that way I don't have to give out my personal cell number to Joe Citizen.

3. Drummer611, Dec 28, 2011
    Last edited: May 2, 2012

Drummer611 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your answer! I just downloaded a new App called TextNow, I'll make some tests. I will also try Google Voice.

EDIT: Google Voice isn't working, saying that the app is only valid for US Store Account, I'm canadian so I'm using a Canada Store Account. Any other ideas?