Canada tokes at 4 times world average

obeygiant

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 14, 2002
totally cool
Canadians use marijuana at four times the world average, making Canada the leader of the industrialized world in cannabis consumption, a recent United Nations report found.

The 2007 World Drug Report by the UN Office on Drugs and Crime says that 16.8 per cent of Canadians aged 15 to 64 smoked marijuana or used another cannabis product in 2006. The world average is 3.8 per cent.

In the report, Canada ranks fifth in the world for marijuana use, behind Ghana at 21.5 per cent, Zambia, 17.7 per cent, and Papua New Guinea and Micronesia with 29 per cent each.

Cannabis accounts for the bulk of global drug use, consumed by 160 million people.

In 2006, about 200 million people, or five per cent of the world's population aged from 15 to 64, used drugs at least once. Of those, an estimated 25 million had drug dependencies.

The report found that Canada also had a high rate of usage for cocaine, at 2.3 per cent of population, ranking it third behind Spain and England.

For the other top three drugs — heroin, amphetamines and ecstasy — Canada was near or under the international average for usage.

The UN report found that overall, drug usage around the world is relatively stable for the third year in a row.

"Overall, we seem to have reached a point where the world drug situation has stabilized and been brought under control," said the report.
cbc

Jeez Canada, I had no idea.

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
Is that taking into account quality? canadian weed is allot better than the stuff we get here usually, I'd have to smoke a heck of allot more to get as stoned here as i would in canada.

fistful

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Socan
A country taking more drugs than any other, certainly sounds like a big deal.
Not than any other, only in the industrialized world. Canada is 5th in the world according to the article.

I'm of the belief bad people will do bad things whether they are sober, drunk or stoned. In my experience the only crimes most marijuana users in this country are charged with are primarily related to possession/trafficking of small amounts with little to no relation with other more serious crimes. I feel that it doesn't have a very negative impact on Canadian society besides wasting funds on prosecuting pot smokers. I tried to find some stats on that but I'm really not sure where to look.

Mind you this is coming from someone who no longer drinks, smokes or does drugs except on very rare occasions.

( I didn't get to sleep last night so I'm not sure how coherent this post is)

Legolamb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2006
North of where I'd like to be
I was waiting for someone to pot .. er post... this. BUT it's really because of la belle province. Blame Quebec. Who knew? Does this absolve or add to the crime of Celine Dion :D
Quebec smokes rest of Canada in pot use
David Johnston, CanWest News Service
Published:*Sunday, July 15, 2007
MONTREAL -- Were it not for prodigious pot use in Quebec, Canada would not have placed first in a United Nations drug study of marijuana use in the industrialized world.
In fact, were Quebec a sovereign nation, it would have finished first ahead of Canada, according to a breakdown of the data supplied by Canada for the UN study......

http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/news/story.html?id=29832c65-8e44-469b-823b-081e81353cf8&k=0

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Is that taking into account quality? canadian weed is allot better than the stuff we get here usually...
Y'all need some Californian lovin'. :D Note, it's been years since I've gone near the stuff.