Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beacher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2010
This has probably already been touched on but a quick search didn't yield much for me so forgive me if this is well covered somewhere else.

I'm in the market for an ipod touch 32gb as a gift for my mom. I'm even considering an iPad, but for the purpose of this post lets assume it's the ipod touch 32mb.

It's important to note that my mom is a retiree, and that she lives in Florida for a good 5 to 6 months of the year. She's already got a first generation touch, and appears to be completely addicted to it. However, because her original touch was bought in Canada, she can't buy any US content while she's at her home in Canada, or at her home in the US of A. She does have a US credit card and a US property so I was thinking she really ought to buy the touch in the US if she wants to buy US content (ie - TV shows, movies etc that are not available through the itunes store in Canada).

Add to this that the Canadian Dollar is at parity with the US dollar (1$ Can = 1$ US approx at the moment), and the fact that we pay 14% taxes in Canada on prices that are higher than in the US, and it becomes a pretty good argument to go to the US with this purchase. THe only thing that keeps me in Canada is that she was a teacher and can get an educational discount that gets us a long way there, and because the warrantee would be out of Canada which is where she is slightly more of the time.

On to my question:

1 - If she does buy an ipod touch in the US, with her US credit card, and uses a different mac account that she sets up there in the US on a computer in the Apple store, can she still synch it with her Canada based mac mini? (ie - can she create a different user account on her canadian mac mini or macbook with a separate itunes that will sync with her US ipod touch?)

2 - will the US purchased and registered iPod touch not allow her to buy US content while she's in Canada as is specified in the user agreement or is this just an honor system thing?

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
Yes I agree buying in the U.S would be the best for her, she can use her 1st gen for the Canadian content and the U.S one for American content.

Beacher

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 12, 2010
Yes I agree buying in the U.S would be the best for her, she can use her 1st gen for the Canadian content and the U.S one for American content.

Sounds like a good plan but will it work? ie - if she has two users on a Canadian machine, can you use a US registered Ipod with a canadian machine and get US content for both scenarios below?

Scenario 1

Canadian Machine in Florida user account 1 is canadian - no US content.
Canadian Machine in Florida user account 2 is US (ie US credit card, US address registered mac account, US purchased Ipod) - will it get US content?

Scenario 2

Canadian Machine in Canada user account 1 is canadian - no US content.
Canadian Machine in Canada user account 2 is US (ie US credit card, US address registered mac account, US purchased Ipod) - will it get US content?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.