Canada - Wind Mobile $39 Unlimited Canada + USA WIDE -- 1 Plan 2 Countries!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 869639, May 7, 2014.

1. 869639, May 7, 2014
    Last edited: May 15, 2014

869639 macrumors 6502

How many Canadians do we have on the forum taking advantage of this plan?

I just got this plan this week, my SIM should be here in couple more days and will be using it here in USA -- and for all the times I'm home in Canada :D.

Plan Details:
    Price = $39/Month
    Canada Wide Talk + Text from any Wind Home Zone
    Unlimited Roaming in USA [Unlimited Calling/Texting to Canada + USA + Unlimited Data]
    Call Display/Call Waiting etc.
    Unlimited Data soft-capped @ 5GB [Use it anywhere in Canada or USA]
    Roaming on T-Mobile but can be forced to roam on AT&T [according to members on HoFo]
    To make Unlimited US Calls from Canada -- Download the "Vonage" App, it allows Unlimited Calls to US numbers, while paid calls to Canada -- but we don't need to make calls through it to Canadian numbers as they are included in the plan! -- to make direct calls rather than Data, go to Vonage app Settings -- Call Settings -- and turn on "Use Mobile Plan Minutes Only"

This plan for Canadians who travel often beats T-Mobile's if you only stay in North America as it offers 3G Roaming in USA vs T-Mobile only offering 2G in Canada [with option to pay for 3G Data while roaming]

Having issues activating iMessage + FaceTime? Check out:

2. E2EK1EL macrumors 6502

Wind doesn't support short code SMS, you won't be able to register your Wind telephone number for iMessage and Facetime the regular way.

You can try this, keep in mind many had failed to activate.

In the baseband logs, you should find a message from +447786205094

There is a string of hex identified by 'GSM SMS Point to Point PDU (as hex str):' Within the string you should see '06050415790000'. Copy everything after that starting with 'd2'. This is the USER DATA. Make sure you grab the latest one, as it will change every time you toggle iMessage off/on.

Calculating the USER DATA length:

Paste the hex string into the decoder at: http://smspdu.benjaminerhart.com

Check the box 'Contains only User Data'

Get a count of the characters in the result field marked 'User Data /w additional stuff' (Starts with 'REG-RESP')

Add 8 to the result. You should get a result close to 105. Convert it to HEX.

(http://www.mathsisfun.com/binary-decimal-hexadecimal-converter.html)

This value replaces YY in the string below:

41000a81XXXXXXXXXX0000YY

The next step is to encode your iPhone number as semi-octets. This is done by grabbing 2 digits at a time and reversing them.

For example:

(123) 456-1234 (your 10 digit phone number)

would become

Insert that into the following, replacing the 'XXXXXXXXXX':

41000a81XXXXXXXXXX0000YY

Now concatenate your 2 strings as follows (Spaces added for clarity only):

41000a81XXXXXXXXXX0000YY 06050415790000 d2.....USER DATA....

This is your new SMS SUBMIT message.

Connect your GSM Modem capable phone to your computer (I used USB. Bluetooth may also work). Use a terminal program like ZTerm on a Mac or Hyperterminal on Windows.

Type the following commands:

AT <return> - should return OK. If it doesn't, you'll need to troubleshoot connecting your GSM modem to your computer.

If you see the OK message, continue with the following:

AT+CGMF=0 <return>

AT+CMGS=The Length of your new SMS SUBMIT message divided by 2 <return>

>

Type 00 and then paste your SMS SUBMIT message here and end it with <ctrl-z>

If you did everything correctly, this should send the message to your iPhone and iMessage/Facetime should activate with your phone number.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/24647370#24647370

3. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

The price is adequate for the quality, and the quality of service is not very good.

4. 869639 thread starter macrumors 6502

I know, but you gotta give it to Wind tho...they started building out their network only about 5 years ago....majority of the networks worldwide are already well established or owned by the bigger carriers. Wind has been a solider in the field and is taking punch at the others in Canada...Only thing Wind needs to do is to improve their servers to make USA roaming even better because all the data is routed through Wind Servers in Canada while roaming in USA....Sure wind can't offer Canada Wide coverage until their network is built out because the 3 pigs in Canada do not want to work with Wind to allow customers the freedom they deserve and its because unlike Mobilicity and Videotron, Wind is actually a threat to the big 3 as Mobiliciy and Videotron are staying regional and don't have plans to build out their network to compete nationally while Wind does.

5. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

My friend has Wind in Canada and she's constantly losing signal (Toronto). It also takes ages to reconnect, for example after taking a subway the phone can remain with no network for hours.

You get what you pay for.

6. 869639 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ya, Wind has its downside to it, I'm not gonna lie. It needs lots of work, but we have to support the network....compared to the others in Canada Wind Mobile only has been in the market for about 5 years.....Others have decades on Wind.

I was reluctant to go to Wind as well thinking I don't want to compromise the quality but then again I want Wind to grow and the only way it'll happen is with support from those of us that move away from big 3. The rates are outrageous in Canada...Unlike USA, Canada doesn't doesn't have a any MVNO networks that are actually affordable....

Yes Canada is a small country when compared to USA population wise...but Australia is similar in population to Canada and yet their Wireless prices are much much cheaper.

Being able to roam in USA without extra costs and having a phone that works at home in Canada, I couldn't be happier with it, sure I won't get the latest & greatest LTE but for $39 CAD = $36USD...couldnt go wrong with it...Unlimited Here and Unlimited there....I'll be using it more in USA than in Canada, so relying on AT&T and T-Mobiile for coverage is going to be good -- I will report back in a few weeks of my actual experience across mid west USA --- as I'll have almost a month of usage on T-Mobile / AT&T [one can force it to roam on ATT which is great]

7. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

You don't have to support anything. Unless you are a really "loyal customer", or volunteer to get bad service, of course.

Up to you. Its your money and your time, after all. Personally, I have chosen Koodo by a recommendation and so far it has been very good. It even faired excellent during the infamous Ice Storm this Christmas, when most of my friends on other networks got bad service with connection drops, interferences, etc, or no service at all.

8. 869639 thread starter macrumors 6502

true, another advantage to me is that I plan to use it in USA more than Canada and every time I am home of couple of weeks I end up spending more than I should on cell service because I always need my phone working. I go home every 2-3months for 1-3 weeks.

9. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Another option would be to have a pre-paid SIM card in Canada, which will work only when you decide to pay for it. As far as I know, they don't disable it unless you don't pay for more than 3 months. The pattern seems to fit your situation, but you will have to use another phone #, of course.

But this way you can enjoy the better solutions of US-based carriers when you are not home.

10. 869639 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ya, I know what you mean but its just hasn't been worth it.

I pay right now $42.50/month and end up spending minimum $20 each visit I make...last time I was home for 3 weeks and actually ended up spending $35 because my data need grew all of a sudden....I have been doing what you suggested for the past year but it just doesn't always work because I need my main US number working...I plan to actually port the current US number I have to freedompop iPhone app which gives 200mins/500text per month and has voicemail option...will fit my needs -- this way I don't have to change my whatsapp number and can use it anywhere basically.....

I have been using the freedompop app for 2 weeks now to test drive it [they currently don't have the port in option available yet but is coming very soon] and they offer $10/month Unlimited Calling/Texting if needed] and I tell you its very promising, the call quality is excellent and is the best solution I have seen as "Second Line" for anyone interested in such a option....way more useful than Google Voice app--- as it provides calling functionality.

my main usage is data and that too is not "heavy" data usage as I am on/in range of WiFi 75% of the time.

Another thing I am waiting for: Freedompop next promotion on hotspots, I plan to pick up one that has access to Sprint's 3G network [some of their hotspots are restricted to WiMax] and installing it in my car -- I missed the last offer they had for it when I was in Canada and didnt want it being returned.....for maps and light music streaming usage Sprint's network isn't bad as I have used Virgin Mobile USA hotspot in the past for trip across midwest-east usa.

11. 869639 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the input, this is going to be a challenge so I'm going to take out some special time just to try this out.

12. smcclay macrumors newbie

I'm the one who posted the work-around on the Apple discussions for getting your phone number to work with iMessage/FaceTime. I set up a website to do the calculations and send the corrected message. Check it out here:

http://theonlinemac.com/wind
    http://theonlinemac.com/windhelp

It's much easier than trying to figure all of it out. :)

13. 869639 thread starter macrumors 6502

Wow thats amazing! -- Really really helpful links -- I'm going to tweet them to @WindMobile and see if they will RT you :)

14. E2EK1EL macrumors 6502

WOW, ROCK ON DUDE! Amazing work!

[​IMG]

Some serious gnarly work you've done.

15. 869639 thread starter macrumors 6502

Finally got my SIM in today, started using the service from IL and so far I have locked on to AT&T (after a few tries) -- I had to turn off "Automatic" under "Carrier" and then select AT&T. 3G speed is good 2-5Mbps down -- Obviously no LTE. But it beats MVNO's to the fact that I can make calls to Canada as well [All of Canada that is].

Data -- its fast enough for me to get through, I used over 100MB today streaming music, google maps, searching the web, checking emails, Skype and few other data usage things.

The fact that I'll be saving money while Im back home in Toronto area, no sim swapping, 1 number will work everywhere all for around $40USD/month is all worth it to me, only thing I'm rooting for in the future is Wind Mobile to gain Nationwide Canada coverage via agreement through one of the big 3 --- Hopefully CRTC (FCC equivalent in Canada) forces the big 3 to allow Wind Customers on its network without incurring additional charges like how AT&T/T-Mobile have the agreement.

With the sale of Mobilicity, it may become possible for Wind to gain such rights.

16. JOSE891 macrumors 6502a

JOSE891

Do you know if you can refill with a US credit card?

17. 869639 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm sure it won't be an issue as long as you are on Prepaid (Wind Calls it "Pay Before").

I would say use AMEX -- they aren't very strict with addresses compared to Visa/MC

18. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I imagine they can kick you off their plan if you only use this in the US. I would think they have some provision posted in their terms of use.

19. dazed macrumors 6502a

I was tempted by this as it's way better than what fido offers.

I decided against it because of the high out of area charges in canada. Wind only has a small network around the major cities and once outside the roaming charges are pretty steep.

If I spent most of my time in US then I would definitely reconsider.

20. 869639 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ya, I would say wait a few months, I think some new changes should be coming by CRTC -- forcing big 3 to allow cheaper roaming rates for Wind