canadaram & mac pro early 2008

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Col127, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Col127 macrumors 6502

hey guys...

i'm thinking of getting some more ram for my mac pro (early 2008)... thinking of purchasing between OWC and canadaram, leaning towards canadaram right now. what's your experience with canadaram like? i've never heard of them before so i don't know what the quality of their stuff is like vs. OWC and other memory guys.

let me know your opinions! thanks!

2. bigbird macrumors 6502

I've bought Mac Pro (early 2008) RAM from CanadaRam twice. First time was 4 x 2GB and last time was 2 X 1GB. Their phone support and sales team is first rate; they answer the phone immediately and know what they're talking about. The product is well packed and shipped in sturdy boxes.
    Shipping is free over $150 and quick. I initially ordered from OWC but cancelled and went with CanadaRam. OWC was slow to answer their phone (15+ minutes) and the sales people weren't knowledgable, they were only order takers. I also wasn't crazy about paying customs fees and PST. With CanadaRam it's only GST unless you live in BC or Quebec, I believe. CanadaRam's prices have quietly gone up twice now on the 800MHz FB-DIMM's. I don't know if OWC's have gone up as well.
    If you are at all hesitant about CanadaRam, phone them on their toll free # and discuss any questions you may have. BTW, I am not affiliated in any way with them, just a satisfied customer.

3. Col127 thread starter macrumors 6502

i ended up buying from canadaram... it was a great experience!

4. idkidm macrumors newbie

i bought certified RAM from OWC and, without initially informing that it was even on backorder, they took more than a month to ship it to me. during that time i called repeatedly and waited on hold for 45 minutes at a time to ask when, exactly, it would be coming, only to be told there were problems in the database, with the chip supplier, etc.

terrible experience all around