Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
I assume you can’t even download it in the US App Store. Each state will have to release they’re own app, and only a few states have said so far that they’ll participate with the Exposure API. It’s been a disorganized mess.
I have it on my phone now, no issues. I'm wondering if it will do the job. I am thinking in therory, it should.

Reactions: amartinez1660

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003
japan is one of the countries that uses the google/apple developed Exposure Notification API.

on the japan ministry of health's (the developer of the local tracking app) page you can learn two data points:
1 the number of downloads to date of the local app that uses the google/apple API
2 the number of positives that persons infected have chosen to share

on july 31 as of 17:00, the number of downloads in japan of the local app was 9,960,000, and the number of shared positives was listed as 92.

the number of downloads in japan is growing by about 1 million per week.

there is no noticeable degradation of daily battery life on my phone since installing this.
countries which have released non-google/apple api versions are finding daily heavy battery life problems.

Last edited:

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Exactly. My state probably won't even make their own as they're recommending us to use the app developed by another state.
Yeah as long as you can download another state’s app, I see no reason it wouldn’t work. The only thing I’m wondering is let’s say you install Alabama’s exposure app, and you come in contact with someone who has Virginia’s app installed. Are the apps cross-compatible as long as they use the same API?

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
Exactly. My state probably won't even make their own as they're recommending us to use the app developed by another state.
Yeah as long as you can download another state’s app, I see no reason it wouldn’t work. The only thing I’m wondering is let’s say you install Alabama’s exposure app, and you come in contact with someone who has Virginia’s app installed. Are the apps cross-compatible as long as they use the same API?
What states are making these with Apples API?

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
What states are making these with Apples API?
Only 4 states have said they’ll participate so far. Virginia, Alabama, North Dakota, and South Carolina. Here’s a full list of which states are not participating, and which ones haven’t responded yet-

Mr. Heckles

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2018
Around
Only 4 states have said they’ll participate so far. Virginia, Alabama, North Dakota, and South Carolina. Here’s a full list of which states are not participating, and which ones haven’t responded yet-

Thanks. I'll look into those, but this Canadian one looks nice actually.

gk4

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2010
The DNS is one of the most significant leaks of data about an individuals activity on the Internet. That includes your location as well as those around you. The IETF have published various RFCs that document that everything you do online leaks to the DNS. For more information see dnsprivacy.org

I'm not arguing that. What I'm asking is how this specific app plays into that?

-What we know from the APIs are that it logs unique Bluetooth IDs that it comes into proximity with into a local database. There's no actual network communication happening during this phase.
-The app offers a way for you to submit your own Bluetooth ID as being COVID postive. That action can be subject to DNS attacks, but the DNS attack wouldn't be able to infer your unique BT ID.
-It also downloads a list of known positive IDs, and if that if is in your local DB of devices you've come into contact with will notify you. This list is public knowledge so there is no notable info to be gained from. And the check that happens against that list occurs locally on your device, so there is no network communication involved there.

spenjere579

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2015
Canada
Will this work for people in the USA? Anyone recommend a good one like this for US Users?
Yes it will track who you’re near etc, that will work. But you need to be tested positive in Ontario to receive the unique code to let the app know you confirmed positive, therefore no one will be able to test positive in the app outside of Canada and no one will receive notifications. Essentially the app is useless outside of Canada.

TechieGeek

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
Yes it will track who you’re near etc, that will work. But you need to be tested positive in Ontario to receive the unique code to let the app know you confirmed positive, therefore no one will be able to test positive in the app outside of Canada and no one will receive notifications. Essentially the app is useless outside of Canada.

This is accurate. Doesn't matter which app you use for exposure logging...but if someone tests positive in the US, they can't report the positive test on the Canadian app [since they don't have the code], thus they can't self-report that they've tested positive and alert those that they were near.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Will this work for people in the USA? Anyone recommend a good one like this for US Users?
Sure wish there was just a universal COVID-19 tracing APP that you can install and use anywhere in the world. Since it's all bluetooth talking it should be limited to the people you come into contact with in your area. USA is way behind on these types of apps. like asked above, maybe can be used generically?
Yeah as long as you can download another state’s app, I see no reason it wouldn’t work.
I have it on my phone now, no issues. I'm wondering if it will do the job. I am thinking in therory, it should.
The problem is, you need a central agency that maintains the database of identifiers that are associated with positive tests (this is relatively easy)...

AND that agency needs to be a gatekeeper for adding identifiers for positive tests into that database - you don’t want anyone to just be able to tap a button in the app that says, “yep, I’m infected!”, because a surprising number of idiots will do do “just for fun”, or “to see what would happen”, or because they actually want to damage the system so that they can then say “see, the system doesn’t work.”

So, you need some sort of lock in the app that requires authorization to open, in order to say, “yep, I tested positive”, so people don’t trigger it on a whim. One of the most commonly discussed methods (though certainly not the only one that would work), is to supply the lab/agency that gives you back the test results from your COVID test, with software they can use to generate a one-time-use QR code to open that lock (if your test is negative, they don’t give you a code). So, you get the test back, and if it says you’re positive, then you open the app and point the camera at the QR code that you were given along with your positive result, and then the app talks to the central database and submits the anonymous random identifiers your phone has broadcast over the past few weeks, to add to the database.

(And everyone’s phone periodically downloads that database, and compares the list of identifiers your phone has seen nearby against the ones in the database, and if there are any matches, it lets you know you may have been exposed, and gives you any country/state-specific next steps you should take.)

So the agency that controls the database of identifiers for an area needs to have some connection with the lab or agency where you got your test. If you live in a different country, you’ll be able to see that you are not known to have come into contact with infected people in the other country, but that tells you nothing about coming into contact with infected people in your country. It’ll probably give you a false sense of security, if anything (“oh good, no alerts”), when you can’t get any alerts for anyone nearby, only those from the other country.

Last edited:

gk4

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2010

Also, if your government isn't providing a way to notifiy the app of positive covid cases then it wont do anything. You can think of these apps as having 3 main components

1. The contact tracing API which creates a local DB of all the Unique BT IDs you've com into contact with
  2. A covid positive submission process
  3. A process to download a list of unique BT IDs of confirmed covid positives to cross-reference against the list of devices you've come in contact with
#1 will work no matter what, it's not dependent on your government doing anything. #2 will need somewhere for you to submit your covid positive results, this likely won't work unless you are in a region that supports this app since the app includes a verification process. #3 will need to download a list of covid possible people, it might work but if you're downaloding a list from some region really far away from you it's not really going to have any relevant info

madmin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
I'm not arguing that. What I'm asking is how this specific app plays into that?

-What we know from the APIs are that it logs unique Bluetooth IDs that it comes into proximity with into a local database. There's no actual network communication happening during this phase.
-The app offers a way for you to submit your own Bluetooth ID as being COVID postive. That action can be subject to DNS attacks, but the DNS attack wouldn't be able to infer your unique BT ID.
-It also downloads a list of known positive IDs, and if that if is in your local DB of devices you've come into contact with will notify you. This list is public knowledge so there is no notable info to be gained from. And the check that happens against that list occurs locally on your device, so there is no network communication involved there.

The app uses services on the internet that rely on DNS, for example notification services. The rest follows, including fingerprinting of devices for identification and tracking.

jpn

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2003

a great question.

i think the answer is likely no, given how uncoordinated individual states are, and in light of the lack of any desire to coordinate and lead on the national level, there is no central clearing data base.

a regionally coordinated database of case IDs of positives to testing would be workable and effective.
say, a NY, NJ, Connecticut tri-state coordinated approach makes sense for the greater NY area.

but a public health crisis that doesnt need to stop for gas at a state borders really demands a federal level coordinated response.

later edit: on aug 1 google/apple announced revisions to their api that allows interoperability between countries that have COID-19 apps that use their api
news reports don't specifically mention if that interoperability could apply among USA states but it seems promising that it could.

Last edited:

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
a great question.

i think the answer is likely no, given how uncoordinated individual states are, and in light of the lack of any desire to coordinate and lead on the national level, there is no central clearing data base.

a public health crisis that crosses state borders demands a federal level coordinated response.
Well this is a big cluster. Instead of one central federal app, we're going to have several apps competing with each other in different states. Ugh.

Reactions: jpn

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
If Apple didn't have a monopoly on iOS app distribution, we could have a global app made that simply works for everyone. But the fanbois here will insist that Apple doesn't have a monopoly, or even if they admit the monopoly, that the additional security from viruses is worth it.
That’s like saying Walmart has a monopoly on what they put on their shelves.

gk4

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2010
The app uses services on the internet that rely on DNS, for example notification services. The rest follows, including fingerprinting of devices for identification and tracking.

But not necessarily. I didn't enable push notifications since I'm fine going into the app. But even if I did, it's a local push.

The app maintains it's contact DB locally, that never gets uploaded to the central server. What happens is a list of new confirmed positives gets downloaded by the app. The app then (locally) checks the list of known positives and creates a local push if a known positive is on your list.

Its really disingenuous to try and call into question their claim that "COVID Alert has no way of knowing". By your logic, COVID app, whether you install it or not knows everything already because everything you listed is completely external from the app and would work just the same if you never installed it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.